Setting up two-factor authentication for a 1Password account using a passkey

Options
akramhus
akramhus
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Mac

I added a passkey using my iphone by scanning a QR code and verifying with faceID. Now next time i login it asks me to insert the security key and not prompting me with a QR code to authenticate. How does that work here???

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS latest
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @akramhus! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with passkeys. Are you trying to sign in to your 1Password account or a different website? To help me better understand the situation I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply:

Make sure that nothing sensitive is visible in the screenshot.

-Dave

• akramhus
    akramhus
    Community Member
    Options

yes i am able to sign in using my authenticator code, but not the security key and here is a screen shot attached of what i am seeing when i try to login into the desktop app

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

@akramhus

Thank you for the screenshot. It looks like you're being prompted for a physical security key in order to authenticate your 1Password account. Using a passkey instead of a physical security key for your 1Password account's two-factor authentication isn't supported. I recommend that you remove the passkey since it won't work:

1. Use your authenticator app to log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).
    2. Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
    3. Click More Actions > Manage Two-Factor Authentication.
    4. Remove the passkey that you saved.
    5. Remove the passkey from where you saved it as well.

Then, if you do have a physical security key like a YubiKey or Titan, you can add the security key using this guide: Use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

If you see a 1Password prompt appear offering to save a passkey then please press the security key icon in the prompt to use your physical security key instead:

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#4162

This discussion has been closed.