Newly generated password not saved to history

Options
luismieryteran
luismieryteran
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I generated a new password for a site. The site asked me to enter old and new passwords. For whatever reason, the old password does not appear in the history. Is this a bug?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.18 (81018040)
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
_OS Version: Ventura 13.4.1
_Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hey @luismieryteran,

Can you point me at the website you experienced this behaviour on?

When you visited the change password page were you able to fill the old password in order to change your password?

Do you mean now you have updated the password within the item you are no longer seeing the old password in the password history?

Any details on the steps you took would be really useful.

• luismieryteran
    luismieryteran
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your message and sorry I was not clear. I meant that I changed the password using the random generation that 1password provides; the old password was not saved into 1password's history for this particular login. I hope I make more sense now.

• Hi @luismieryteran 👋

Thanks for these additional details. It sounds like this is a Login item in 1Password, is that correct? I'd also like to confirm that you're viewing password history via the menu beside the password field:

If the password history still isn't appearing, I recommend checking item history on 1Password.com in your browser:

Are you able to see your previous password there? Let me know what you find and we'll go from there!

• luismieryteran
    luismieryteran
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @andrew.l_1P and thanks for your message. Answers to your questions:
    1) Yes, I've observed this issue with one particular login item. The problem might extend to other login items but I have not checked this.
    2) To check password history, I do exactly as you say.
    3) I did check the 1password online item history and surprisingly, they do not agree. See attached images.

• Hi @luismieryteran ,

Thanks for attaching these screenshots! Apologies for any confusion, the "View item history" option on 1Password.com will show a complete item history, including any changes to other fields, which is may explain the differences in the timestamps. Do you see your previous password for this item in any of those item history versions?

I'd also like to ask you to try creating a test login item and then updating the password. Does the in-app password history work as expected? We'll determine our next steps based on whether this behaviour is exclusive to a particular item. Let me know what you find or if you have any questions! 🙂

• luismieryteran
    luismieryteran
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P
    Thanks for the clarification on the item history. I ran the test you suggested for a new "Test Login" and things work as expected. I changed the password twice and they got entered into the password history as expected. Let me know what you suggest next.