Please make changes to preserve item history when moving an item to another vault

Options
chenhang91
chenhang91
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Mac

Hello all,

I found that moving an item to another vault would lose its item history. I tried to access a historical note of an item that I moved to another vault, and I cannot find the option "View Item History" from the web app for the moved item in the new vault. Moving back the item does not restore the historical changes. I could reproduce this issue by creating a new item, changing something, and moving to another vault.

I do find a workaround - I found the moved item also in my original vault's "Recently Deleted", and I can restore that item to my original vault and access its history. However, this makes me agitated since I must remember to do this whenever I move an item to preserve its history.

I suggest the developers could make either of these two changes -

1. Preserve the item history of the moving item
  2. Rather than deleting the item, archive the item, since the deleted item will be permanently purged after 30 days.

By doing this, I believe we could prevent accidentally losing item history when moving an item between vaults.

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1 (22A400)
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• jonpw
    jonpw
    Community Member
    Options

This thread caught my eye as I've been gradually updating all my passwords from a particular vault. Whenever I log in to a website from that vault I update the password and then move the item to a new vault. Been doing this for about a year. I just spot checked items in that new vault and all of them had their full password history. I don't have any changed notes, though.

• Hello @chenhang91! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! Currently, item history is indeed removed from items when they are moved between vaults. This is done so that you don't accidentally share information that you weren't intending to share with someone else by moving an item (that you specifically edited to only contain information that you wanted to share) into a shared vault and forgetting that certain private information, or a private file, could be retrieved from an item's previous version.

That being said, our developers are looking into how we can improve this behaviour and I've added your comments there.

@jonpw

Password history is different from item history. The item history that @chenhang91 is referring to is accessed from 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23297

• chenhang91
    chenhang91
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Dave and @jonpw, thank you very much for your reply and comment! The tradeoff behind this design does make sense to me, and it's great to know that the developers are improving it. Okay sounds good! I will wait for an update that both prevents accidentally sharing historical changes and preserving the historical changes at the same time 😊👍

• Thank you again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.