Android autofill still broken? Autofill not working in Messenger/Chrome on Android 11

Options
DoctorWade
DoctorWade
Community Member

In Facebook's Messenger app, the 1Password autofill prompt does not appear when I tap the "phone number or email" field or tap the password field, not even when I set the 1Password autofill prompt to appear "below the fields they relate to." I always have to press on a text field until an "Autofill" button appears, and then I tap on that button, and then there's a 50% chance that the 1Password autofill prompt will appear afterwards.

I've had the same problem in other apps too, such as Chrome.

Does anyone have any idea when the autofill on Android will be fixed? It's the biggest problem I currently have with 1Password on Android.

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 11
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @DoctorWade, thanks for writing in. I'm sorry Autofill isn't working as expected.

I did some testing with the Facebook Messenger app and found I was consistently seeing a prompt from 1Password, and could fill from that prompt as expected. I'd like to ask you to confirm Facebook Messenger and 1Password are up to date, then check if there's any change in behavior.

You also mentioned inconsistent behavior in Chrome. Could you share a couple websites where this has been the case for you so we can help investigate further? Thanks again!

• DoctorWade
    DoctorWade
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your time and assistance.

The problem was that I could not see the 1Password prompt when I tapped on the email address text field on Best Buy's login page. I think some update that happened before you replied fixed it. The prompt appears and it autofills correctly now.

After that, I checked the Play Store for updates, and there was an update for Messenger. After the update, I opened Messenger, then I tried to log in to an alternative account by using the "switch account" menu in Messenger.

I tap on "Add account", then the log in page appears. I tap on the "Phone number or email" text field, expecting the 1Password prompt to appear within 5 or 10 seconds at most. But no prompt appears; only my keyboard appears.

The only way to get the 1Password prompt to appear is to press on the text field until an "Autofill" prompt pops up near the text field. I tap on "Autofill", and only then does the 1Password prompt show up.

It would be good to have 1Password appear immediately, as expected.
    But maybe the problem would be fixed if I try to uninstall and reinstall the Messenger app. So I tried that, and I tried signing in to my account in the Messenger app without using the "add account" feature.

It works. The 1Password autofill prompt appears and autofills the text fields correctly.

So, the problem involves the "add account" feature in Messenger. 1Password will not automatically offer to autofill the log in page if you try to add an account that way.

• DoctorWade
    DoctorWade
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I'm sorry about the comment spam (I see multiple copies of my comment when I'm not logged in here). I didn't know that every edit I make to my comment needs to be approved. I tried editing my comment, but it got posted as multiple comments for some reason. Maybe some of those were not "edits", and I didn't realize it.