Updating logins via desktop APP

Options
astandre
astandre
Community Member

I have some logins to the same site in multiple vaults. When I edit a login in one vault why does it not update that same login in all vaults? Or at least give that option?

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Browser: chrome

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

That's not within the design of 1Password. Items are not connected to each other. If you update one, it's never reflected in any other.
    So don't create copies of one item in multiple vaults. Try to reduce and normalize your data and make sure you ever have exactly one item only for each of your logins, no matter the vault.

If you group and organize your items by duplicating them over a bunch of vaults, change that strategy. Instead of duplicating your items over a number of vaults, keep all your logins in one vault only and for organizing, add tags to the items. Since you're able to add multiple tags to each item, you can put every item into multiple baskets without duplicating the item. You can also create tag hierarchies by using the / character in tag names.

• astandre
    astandre
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much. I have some work to do. I have taken advantage of using Watchtower to find duplicates within a vault. Is there a way to find duplicates in the entire account across all vaults?

• Hey @astandre, at the moment duplicates are only detected for items within the same vault.

You may be able to use the Reused passwords section in Watchtower to locate some of your duplicated items. For items that have different passwords, you would likely need to manually search for them. I would recommend selecting All Items in the side bar and sorting by Title to make them easier to find.

Let me know how things go or if you have any further questions.

Ali