Creating bank account password

Options
Rusty666
Rusty666
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, can someone help me as to how I can use 1Password to create a password for my bank account which requires an account number, pin number and password to log in? PS I cannot find the version I am using.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.16.1
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Edge

Comments

• Hey @Rusty666, thanks for reaching out.

If you're updating an existing password, you can find some helpful steps here: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

Regarding your PIN number, you can manually add it using 1Password for Windows:

1. Open 1Password for Windows.
    2. Navigate to your bank account item.
    3. Select Edit > add more.
    4. You can add the PIN as a Password field and rename it to PIN, that way it remains hidden.
    5. Save!

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.

Ali

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ali for your quick reply and apologies for my slack reply. My Edit screen is slightly different to yours: I choose Edit, New Field, Password but I can only add a label (PIN) or enter a PIN number but not both. Any suggestions? Also, can you tell me how to find my version of 1Password that I am using?

• Hey @Rusty666, thanks for getting back to us.

It sounds like you may be using the 1Password.com web interface rather than the desktop application.

You can download and install the latest version of 1Password for Windows from here:

To check the version of 1Password that you're using, you can follow the steps here:

Let me know how that goes or if you have any further questions.

Ali

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ali. I've downloaded the desktop application and added a field called Security Number. When I attempt to log onto my bank account 1Password fills all three fields but I get the error message "One or more of the input details are invalid". However, when I copy and paste the password from 1Password into the bank logon screen in the Password section I successfully login! This makes no sense at all to me. Any idea what is happening?

• Hello again @Rusty666,

It sounds as though 1Password is not correctly filling one of those fields. For your banking website, do you have the ability to reveal the contents filled by 1Password to determine which field is invalid?

If not, could you try following the steps below to manually fill each of the three fields with your credentials and save this a new log in item? Then refresh the page and try filling this new item?

If you are still having troubles with 1Password filling all of these three fields, could you provide the URL for your bank login page, so we can try creating a test for this page?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. In answer to your first question i can see that the account number and security code are correct but it is not possible to reveal the password. I tried your suggestion about filling and adding the three fields but was unable to fully carry out the instructions. I deleted the item and started again with the same password but same problem. Would it make a difference if the item I use is a Login or Bank Account? URL is https://ibanking.stgeorge.com.au/ibank/viewAccountPortfolio.html Thanks for your assistance.

• Hello @Rusty666,

Thanks for getting back to me. Since you were able to confirm the account number and security code are correct, it sounds like it may be the password that is causing troubles.

Based off of a previously filed issue, I've discovered that with particular website, the password that gets saved into 1Password is different to the password entered on St Georges Bank. I've included your report here. Unfortunately many banking sites impose password restrictions and security measures that do little to increase user security, while ultimately making it more difficult for users to rely on password managers to fill their complex passwords.

As a workaround, if you are not able to sign in at all, I would suggest going through the website's process to change the password for your account using a generated password from 1Password in the browser:

Next, edit your bank login and save this generated password to the password field. They try refreshing the webpage and filling again. Does this help?

Would it make a difference if the item I use is a Login or Bank Account?

Since this is a login item for your bank account you can create this as a Login item. Whereas a Bank Account items include fields like routing number, account number, and PIN to save your banking information.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about item categories.

ref: dev/core/core#23275

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I will generate a new password when I get home later in the week and get back to you. I can access the account by auto filling the three fields and then going back to 1Password, copying the password and pasting into the St George login page. To my mind 1Password is auto filling the correct account and PIN but somehow the password is being imported from another “location”.

• Hey @Rusty666,

Thank you for getting back to us, let us know how you get on with generating a new password.

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

No good at all, in fact worse as the bank login page will now not recognise that I have created a bank log in item - very frustrating. As before, I can access my account if I manually enter the account number and security number and copy and paste the password from 1Password.

• Hey @Rusty666,

Thank you for getting back to us, I'm sorry for the trouble.

We have filed an issue with our development team to see if we can improve the behaviour on this page in a future update. In the meantime, I suggest copy and pasting your credentials into the fields.

I understand that this isn't ideal and I'm sorry for the disruption to your workflow, let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Steph for the quick reply and hopefully the development team can come up with a solution. Previously when I unsuccessfully created an item for the St George bank the logo for St George replaced the ‘$’ logo but this time the ‘$’ logo was not replaced - I’m not sure whether this is significant. Does it make any difference if I use the web interface rather than the desktop application?

• You're welcome @Rusty666.

It seems to replace the characters randomly, I couldn't find a pattern in my testing,

You should be able to use either the web interface or your 1Password app, let us know if you have any more questions!

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback Steph.

• You're welcome @Rusty666, have a great weekend!

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph, any breakthrough over the past couple of weeks on the issue I’m having with 1Password not logging into my St George bank account? It’s getting a bit more tedious now as I’m required to enter three fields on my phone now instead of the previous one. Cheers, Russ

• Hey @Rusty666,

I'm afraid I don't have any updates to share on this issue at this time. The issue we have filed was in regards to filling using 1Password in your browser. Can you describe the behaviour you are seeing on your phone? Are you referring to signing in to the app?

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies for the late reply Steph. Early last week I had difficulties logging onto our St George account but it miraculously reverted back to normal after about 3/4 days. I’m hopeful of a solution to logging on via our iPad and PC.

• No need to apologise @Rusty666, thank you for your patience!

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

On a related matter, 1Password is not available when I try to login in to our St George account. When I log onto

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph, any solution to using 1Password for our St George bank account?