1Password Browser Extension Continuously Locked

Options
joe2003
joe2003
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Started happening within the last week or so, every time I attempt to use 1Password from Chrome or Safari (on macOS) I am greeted with a loading circle that spins for quite some time and then I am forced to login again. This happens really consistently now.

I have checked the extension settings and when I look at the "integrate with 1password app" setting it says "Problems Connecting". Nothing has changed with my setup and I am on the current versions of the app and extension.

I don't have any updates scheduled for any browser (on Chrome v 119.0.6045.105) and have restarted multiple times to attempt to correct.

Any ideas what is going on?

This makes 1Password basically unusable to me.

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: 2.16.0
OS Version: macOS14
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hi @joe2003,

Sorry to hear that you are having a connection issue with 1Password.

Can you confirm the following essential settings for 1Password to work properly:

• Do you see the 1Password icon sitting in the top menu bar, where the clock is, as shown below:

• Can you go to macOS's System Settings... -> General -> Login Items? Check if 1Password is enabled under the "Allow in the Background" section, as shown below:

**Suppose it is on already. Let's turn it off and then back on. **

Let me know how it goes.

• joe2003
    joe2003
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm....yes shown in the top task bar and yes was enabled as a login background item. I toggled that setting off and then back on....annnnd that seemed to fix it! How odd!!

I now see this in the plugin settings and its working as expected -- thanks!!

• joe2003
    joe2003
    Community Member
    Options

Update -- about an hour later it stopped working again.

Had to toggle that setting in login items AGAIN and then it went back to working.

Is there a more permanent solution available?

Thanks,
    Joe

• venndiagramoffoods
    Options

I'm having the same behavior on Firefox (v119.0). Toggled the "Allow in background" setting and it was working again until this morning.

1Password for Mac 8.10.18 (81018040)
    MacOS 14.0 (23A344)

• venndiagramoffoods
    venndiagramoffoods
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi @kevin.li - any ideas on more permanent fixes?

• spencerogden
    spencerogden
    Community Member
    Options

I am having similar symptoms. If I have 1Password the app open and unlocked with TouchID. The menubar extension (by the clock) it is present and the quick Seach opens without prompt for an unlock. But both Safari and Chrome have the extension installed, and they require unlocking by typing in my Master. I probably need to restart the computer and/or browsers.

This is on MacOS Sonoma 14.0.

• joe2003
    joe2003
    Community Member
    Options

This issue still persists. Toggling the "allow in background" setting does resolve temporarily, but needs to be redone often. Any fix available? It makes 1Password nearly unusable as its key use-case is filling in passwords in my web browser during regular use.

• unlocomqx
    unlocomqx
    Community Member
    Options

This seems to have fixed the issue for me (at least for now)