iOS autofill Chrome not suggesting/finding passwords

Options
devinmcbride
devinmcbride
Community Member
edited November 2023 in iOS

Autofill in chrome seems to be broken. Recommended list is always empty and search does not bring up any options.

I’ve tried deselecting and selecting all the usual settings (see attached images)

This functionality works fine in Safari

Attaching

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.1
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hello @devinmcbride! 👋

I'm sorry that AutoFill isn't working correctly in Chrome, thanks for posting those screenshots. Are you testing the same website in both Safari and Chrome, or different websites? If it's the same website then, so that I can better understand the situation, can you post a screenshot of what you see in Chrome when using AutoFill?

Make sure that nothing sensitive is visible in the screenshot. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• devinmcbride
    devinmcbride
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks for the response @Dave_1P - I am using the same website in both Safari and Chrome.

In this case, it's my.t-mobile.com however it happens on other sites (not all). For example, wellsfargo.com works perfectly fine.

Attached are some further images from Chrome showing the difference between WF and TMO

T-Mobile in Chrome

Wells Fargo in Chrome

T-Mobile in Safari

Please also note TMO in Safari working fine

• @devinmcbride

Thanks for posting those screenshots. The following in your screenshots is not 1Password:

This is iCloud Keychain, Apple's built-in password manager, and that explains why you're not seeing your items when you search since you're searching in iCloud Keychain and not 1Password.

There is currently a bug in iOS where double-tapping on a field and then tapping AutoFill > Passwords will not respect your password manager selection from Settings > Passwords > Password Options (where you chose to use 1Password) and will instead bring up iCloud Keychain regardless of your selection.

The workaround is to invoke 1Password using the AutoFill prompt above your keyboard instead. I do see that the prompt isn't appearing on the T-Mobile website in your screenshot and I would recommend reporting that to T-Mobile so that they can investigate further. In the meantime, if you manually type in your Email, phone number, or username on that screen you should be able to use AutoFill from above your keyboard to fill your password on the next screen.

You can learn more about AutoFill here: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24225

• devinmcbride
    devinmcbride
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P this is really helpful insight. Thank you for taking the time to look into it.

Can you possibly point me to documentation around web apps adding the autofill option?

• @devinmcbride

Thanks for the reply. Apple's developer documentation for iOS AutoFill can be found here: Password AutoFill | Apple Developer Documentation

-Dave

• devinmcbride
    devinmcbride
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P was just rereading your earlier response. If tmo isnt setup for autofill appropriately, do you have insight into how safari works fine for the same login page?

See the last image on the original post.

• @devinmcbride

I'm afraid that I wouldn't have an answer to that question since the detection of fields by AutoFill in any browser is handled by iOS itself and not 1Password. I do agree that AutoFill does seem to work better in Safari, it's possible that Safari is doing something different. But the developer of a website might still be able to improve things from their end, perhaps by moving the username and password fields to the same page.

Another option may be for the developer to reach out to either Apple or Google Chrome to investigate further why the AutoFill experience on their website is different in different browsers.

-Dave

• devinmcbride
    devinmcbride
    Community Member
    Options

That totally makes sense. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Have a great weekend.

• It's my pleasure, have a great weekend as well! 😊

-Dave