What's with the ellipsis at the end of every note field in iOS? And why can't we select text?

Options
Thorz
Thorz
Community Member
edited November 2023 in iOS

Hello

I have noticed that every default notes field (the last field called "notes" on every vault entry) is shown with an ellipsis at the end (...) in the iOS app. I don't know when this started, but I don't remember to have seen it before.

This ellipsis isn't really present in the notes field, when you tap Edit you can confirm it is not there. It is shown even if the notes field contains only 1 character, and it is only happening in the iOS app, in macOS this ellipsis isn't shown.

Another thing, wasn't it possible before to select text and copy it directly from a notes field without needing to Edit the entry? I am almost sure this was possible before in the iOS app. Now when you tap to select on the default notes field of any entry, nothing happens. In macOS it is possible to select text and copy it without the need to go into edit mode.

What is the reason behind these changes and can this be reverted to their previous state?

Thank you.

1Password Version: iOS: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.1.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Thorz! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble with Secure Notes when using 1Password for iOS. I can reproduce the same issues if I turn off markdown formatting for the app. Can you try the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings. (If you’re using an iPad, tap your account or collection at the top of the sidebar.)
    3. Tap General.
    4. Turn on "Format Using Markdown".

Once this option is turned on, do the ellipses disappear and are you able to tap and hold on the note field to copy that field? That being said, I don't believe that either behaviour should be occurring just because markdown formatting is turned off and I've filed issues with our development team so that they can investigate further.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24297
    ref: dev/core/core#25999

• Thorz
    Thorz
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Dave_1P
    Effectively as you say, when I turn on markdown the ellipsis disappears from the end of the secure notes and I can select text by taping and dragging on it as in any other iOS app. The problem is that I can't have markdown enabled, it completely screws up the formatting of many of the notes I have, that's why I have this option disabled.

• @Thorz

Thank you again for the reporting the issues. Our developers will investigate further and hopefully we'll see fixes in a future version of 1Password for iOS soon.

-Dave