ssh_get_authentication_socket: No such file or directory

Options
senekor
senekor
Community Member
edited November 2023 in SSH

Edit: Ignore this whole post, I'm a dummy :-)

Hello, I setup ssh agent forwarding to use 1Password, but it's not working. As far as I can tell, I followed the documentation precisely. (If I have made an error, I can't find it.)

Here's where I'm currently stuck with debugging. (commands executed on the server I'm ssh'd into)

$ ssh-add -l
256 SHA256:pSWypcGHRrsqHmrtGHzbvqiC/N/87ZZDN16l4q5eLBc ssh-1Password (ED25519)
$ echo $SSH_AUTH_SOCK
/tmp/ssh-XXXXgIWbwA/agent.2781
$ ssh -Tv gh
debug1: get_agent_identities: ssh_get_authentication_socket: No such file or directory

This I do not understand. It seems to me ssh is picking up the agent forwarding. Notably, ssh-add -l is correctly showing the key I stored in 1Password that I want to forward.

But then ssh doesn't find the auth socket? (No such file or directory)

Thank you for any help.

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Fedora 39
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• senekor
    senekor
    Community Member
    Options

And obviously I found the error minutes after posting this. It had nothing to do with 1Password.

My apologies and have a nice day.

• Memphizzz
    Memphizzz
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem, what was it on your end? @senekor

• senekor
    senekor
    Community Member
    Options

I track my dotfiles in a git repo, including .ssh/config. That contains a wildcard to use the 1Password ssh-agent for all hosts. Now, that part of the config is removed on the branch for my server. (1Password may not even be installed there.) However, I had checked out the main branch on my server, which lead to ssh trying to access a local 1Password ssh-agent instead of the agent being forwarded over the existing ssh connection from my laptop. Fixing my ssh config solved the problem.