Safari extension has problems with profiles (14.1 macOS)

Options

I'm using the Safari 1Password extension with profiles. The extension is enabled globally on all profiles.

If I unlock the password extension on one profile, the extension stays locked on the other profiles and seems confused about the lock status. I can click on the icon in the toolbar (which shows it is locked), but all I get is "Open 1Password" to kick me out to the app. Unfortunately, that doesn't work. Autofill capabilities also do not work on the other profile.

1Password Version: 8.10.18 (81018040)
Extension Version: 2.17.0
OS Version: macOS 14.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @Vermyndax,

We have seen reports of some interesting behaviour when using 1Password across multiple Safari profiles and I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at what may be going wrong.

Can you send over a console log from your browser so we can take look:

Please attach the log to an email to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post the number here. Thank you.

• Vermyndax
    Vermyndax
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I've restarted Safari (cmd-Q) and reopened it, and now I can't seem to reproduce the issue. It's unlocking successfully in all profiles first try. I'll post here and send logs if I can make it happen again.

• Thanks for the update @Vermyndax, please let us know if you run into further issues.

• stanhbb
    stanhbb
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @steph.giles ,

I have regularly the same problem as described above. I looked at the logs of the extension, but they stay empty.

When clicking on the extension icon, I get a button "Open 1Password" that does nothing. The 1Password app is unlocked. I found out today another workaround then quitting Safari. If I manually lock the 1Password app and unlock again, then suddenly the safari extension is working again. It seems to be a communication problem between the extension and the backend.

Have you been able to reproduce internally?

On a side note: this behaviour is quite annoying as it makes using 1Password anything but a smooth experience like it used to be. I do not recall permanently recurring problems as this one with 1Password 7. Since 1Password 8, it feels that 1Password is constantly getting in the way.

Regards,
    Stan.

• greggmc
    greggmc
    Community Member
    Options

Adding another "me too" here. It's getting to frustration levels.

• bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member
    edited January 3
    Options

Yep me too. I see similar reports since Safari gained profiles.

It is enough that now Safari has profiles and vertical tabs I would recommend staying with iCloud rather than 1password .

What benefits does 1password give? This is from a user who has used 1password for 15 years.

The popup for autofill had appeared after several minutes but won't autofill.

• billimek
    billimek
    Community Member
    Options

It would be helpful if there was some sort of acknowledgment about a known issue with 1Password and the safari browser, so we can hold out hope that there may be an eventual resolution.

I've been experiencing similar issues as described here and elsewhere about 1Password and the Safari browser and all of the threads seem to result in some form of workaround by restarting the browser, restarting 1Password, logging out/in 1Password, or similar. No hint about a non-workaround resolution.

I hate to say this but also agree that the issues seem to be frustrating enough that I'm considering using the built-in Apple password solution instead; especially if there is no clear path to a resolution.

• Arideno
    Arideno
    Community Member
    Options

Me too 😭

• Hey all,

I'm sorry for the trouble. I think it would be useful if we could look at each of your cases individually to determine exactly what may be causing the issues you are seeing.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Kurt_S
    Kurt_S
    Community Member
    Options

I switched back to Safari expressly because they (finally) introduced profiles, but I'm having the same problem as most of the posters above. I will start to collect the data you cited above and submit it for your review, but from an end-user point of view I can just say that the experience is very frustrating. For me, in most profiles, 1Password has turned from a fully-functional easy-to-use tool to one that merely remembers passwords, but I have to manually cut/paste them (let alone any of the other functionality).

I suggest you also do some internal testing, as I (for one) did nothing particularly special to engender the problem, other than to enable several profiles.

• @Kurt_S

I'm sorry for the frustration, our team is looking into a few issues surrounding Safari profiles and we're investigating internally. If you're able to then sending in the logs that Steph requested earlier will help us better understand the specific cause of the issue on your Mac and work on a fix.

Let me know if you run into any issues generating and sending in the logs.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24280

• chipmc86
    chipmc86
    Community Member
    Options

Agree, I have been having issues with 1Password not unlocking or not filling in the username and password. This has all started since I starting using different Safari sessions for each profile (personal and work).

• Apologies for the trouble @chipmc86 I've passed your report onto the team.

ref: dev/core/core#24280

• gcamp
    gcamp
    Community Member
    Options

An other +1, this has been going for months.

• I'm sorry for the trouble, @gcamp - if you're able to email us with the logs requested by Steph earlier in the thread and then share the support ID number that you get back from BitBot here, this should help us to solve the specific issues that you're experiencing. (Please don't share any diagnostic information in your reply to this thread).

• gcamp
    gcamp
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID : [#FNE-24458-742]

• @gcamp

Thank you for posting the Support ID! I see that my colleague sent you a reply a few minutes ago, please continue the conversation over email. 🙂

-Dave

ref: FNE-24458-742

• bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member
    edited January 24
    Options

Add another me too..
    Plus look at stanhbb"s reply - the log is empty.

Restarting Safari does seem to work for a bit.

I think you need to leave safari running for some time - have multiple profiles active - do lots of browsing - possibly let the mac sleep - or at least get to need to enter the 1password password again.

It is not something that you can catch by automated tests.

• bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member
    Options

Got it again Safari with two profiles open.

Left the machine so screensaver went on.
    Unlocked the machine
    Opened a new window with a new profile.
    Clicked on the icon by the entry field
    The app popped up and I entered the password.
    Then nothing in safari
    Clicked on the icon by the entry field - nothing.
    Clicked on the icon in the bar.
    Got a popup saying open 1password and nothing else (Why 1password is open)
    Hitting the open 1password button does nothing
    Click on the app in the dock - yes it is open
    Close the safari window an open and the same.

This is so repeatable - it does this or it does a slow load of the popup from the web bar button.

Every single time.

The popup button does show all the logins in the profile I am writing this in. Just not in another profile.

• joelhampton
    joelhampton
    Community Member
    Options

Debating dropping 1Password and switching to iCloud password store. This issue has been going on for too long and the copy/paste is getting old fast.

• bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member
    Options

Or instead of
    Clicked on the icon by the entry field - nothing.

I sometimes get
    Oops something went wrong with loading

Again this is EASILY repeatable - that is it happens every time you let the screensaver sleep

• Enginerd
    Enginerd
    Community Member
    Options

+1 same issue

happy to send console log

• Braeden
    Braeden
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here - Ticket #UVV-95792-244

• bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member
    edited March 12
    Options

Just for completeness ticket #XIJ-47266-571

Response included

Based on the additional details you shared, I can confirm that you're running into a known issue we're tracking with 1Password for Safari on multiple profiles. I've personally ran into this issue myself and I completely understand any frustration this may have caused. I can assure you our developers are investigating the issue and actively working with our friends at Apple to come to a resolution. We hope to release a fix in a future update as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I can suggest a temporary workaround to either restarting Safari or toggle 1Password for Safari off and on again to re-establish a connection with the 1Password desktop app.

Another workaround is to run 1Password for Safari independently from the 1Password desktop app. However, you wouldn't be able to unlock the extension through the 1Password desktop app/Touch ID feature and you will need to unlock it separately.

However I do get the worry that is my data now only in the cloud or is it still in a database on my computer that I can backup.

And obviously if you are offline this workaround won't work

• quiris
    quiris
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Same issue :(

• kppcal
    kppcal
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue...

1Password Version: 8.10.28 81028034