Unable to use passkeys on iPhone

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Passkey implementation and usage.

Comments

• gladfrauseverely
    gladfrauseverely
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

passkeys are not syncing for me. I can set them up on my Mac, but cannot log in on my phone. Uber and Homedepot are the ones i tried and it is a miserable experience. Its actually a pretty big cluster mess between devices with each competing to create a key and overwriting the previous in 1password. Feels like like the 1Password8 deployment all over

timing wise, its faster and easier to keep old passwords and 2FA approach... what a mess

• lodaka
    lodaka
    Community Member
    Options

@gladfrauseverely This kind of experience was what prompted me to create this post in the first place. I created a passkey on DocuSign using my desktop, and then went to the same website using my phone, and chose to login through passkey and the website would give me an error saying my device was not registered.

There is a post: https://1password.community/discussion/143018/trying-to-understand-how-passkeys-can-be-shared#latest that seems to suggest that this kind of error shouldn't be happening but based on the information provided above in this post (i.e. wait until Android 14 comes out), I've stopped my experiment with passkeys for now.

I agree that this appears to be somewhat of a mess at the moment.

• gladfrauseverely
    gladfrauseverely
    Community Member
    Options

I just realized 1Password does not support signing in to their product with passkeys! I give up, this whole thing is probably two or more years out. AI is going to take over and we will be still neanderthaling our way through login screens.

• chaithzx
    chaithzx
    Community Member
    Options

Facing the same problem, please I need this to get fixed. I did not pay money for a password manager to not work as expected.

• Hello @gladfrauseverely and @chaithzx! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into issues with using passkeys on your iPhones or iPads. There's a bug in iOS 17 that prevents managers like 1Password from using passkeys in iOS apps. Apple plans to fix the issue in a future update to iOS. Some folks have reported success using the latest iOS beta and hopefully the fix will be released soon.

You can continue to create and sign in using passkeys, with 1Password, in the Safari app: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

Let me know if passkeys in Safari work on your iPhone or iPad or if you're running into issues with that. You can find a list of services that support passkeys on our directory: Passkeys.directory

-Dave

• chaithzx
    chaithzx
    Community Member
    Options

I’m facing this problem only with Uber. Never tried creating passkeys with iPhone though.

Been really satisfied with 1Password except at times when it should work seamlessly, it wouldn’t.

• @chaithzx

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. While 1Password is ready to support passkey authentication in iOS native apps like Uber, we are aware of an issue on iOS 17 that impacts users from being able to save and use passkeys to sign in.

We are working with our partners at Apple and a fix is being tested in the latest iOS beta.

-Dave