Add password to 1Password?

Options
stephenhart
stephenhart
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

On some web sites in Safari, 1Password fills the name and password fields correctly, then asks if I want to add the password to 1Password. The password is clearly already in 1Password. In one case I clicked add, and the correct password in 1Password was changed to an incorrect one. Fortunately I saw that immediately and changed it back.

_1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.18 81018040, on PRODUCTION channel
_Extension Version: 1Password browser extension version 2.17.0 21700002, on STABLE channel
_OS Version: macOS Sonoma 14.1.1 (23B81)
_Browser: Safari Version 17.1 (19616.2.9.11.7)

Comments

• Hey @stephenhart,

1Password will offer to save a password if the one entered is different to the one you already have saved for the website in your 1Password. Can you let me know the steps you are taking to fill the fields? Are you using a keyboard shortcut?

Can you also let me know if there is a specific site you are seeing this behaviour on so I can do some testing and best advise?

Thanks!

• stephenhart
    stephenhart
    Community Member
    Options

I can duplicate this every time when logging in to my DSL modem with a web interface. 1Password will fill in the admin name and correct password, then offer to Save in 1Password. This doesn't happen with dozens of other Safari password entries during a normal day.
    I only have one entry for the DSL modem in 1Password (I checked several ways.)

• Thank you for getting back to me @stephenhart.

On looking at your screenshot, I'm wondering if your browsers built in password manager may be interfering here. Can you try the steps in this guide to disable it and then let us know if the behaviour improves: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser.

Let us know how you get on!