Saving and signing in to the PayPal app using a passkey

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Passkey not available in PayPal.

Comments

• random_31731ec7aea
    random_31731ec7aea
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P ,

I cannot open use 1password on iOS 17.1 and uptodate versions (2023-10-28) of PayPal and 1pw.
    Paypal says that an error occurs by using 1pw as passkey backend. If I use the iCloud keychain it is working to create the passkey.

BTW if I using passkeys via camera on iPhone and the iCloud keychain as backend the passkey dialog (bluetooth) works with 1pw as backend the dialog goes to spiral of death.

Random

• FlightMedic376
    FlightMedic376
    Community Member
    Options

I couldn't create a PayPal passkey on Safari. I had to use the iOS app on my phone to make it. Saved to 1PW, and all good now.

• random_31731ec7aea
    random_31731ec7aea
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@FlightMedic376 Thanks. It is possible to create a passkey with safari on iOS but not with the PayPal iOS App. Login with passkey via macOS Safari works as well. Anyway @Dave_1P maybe you could check why PayPal iOS App is not working.

• htmtbeek
    htmtbeek
    Community Member
    Options

I can also make a passkey in Safari iOS. And I can login in PayPal with the passkey, but after that I still have to use the 2 factor authenticator with the Ubikey. So using the passkey makes it only more complicated. Strange.

• Hello everyone,

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble with passkeys on iOS. There's a bug in iOS 17 that prevents managers like 1Password from using passkeys in iOS apps like PayPal. Apple plans to fix the issue in a future update to iOS. Some folks have reported success using the latest iOS beta and hopefully the fix will be released soon.

As was mentioned by some folks here, you can continue to create and sign in using passkeys in the Safari app: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

I still have to use the 2 factor authenticator with the Ubikey. So using the passkey makes it only more complicated. Strange.

That would be a decision that PayPal would have made as part of their implementation of passkeys. I would recommend reaching out to them to provide feedback. 🙂

-Dave