Safari extension unreliable and slow

Options

I don't know how helpful I actually have the energy to be, but the Safari experience with 1p8 feels like it's getting continually slower and unreliable.

The 1p popover in form fields is slow to render and feels sluggish (~1 second ballpark). Unlocking frequently fails, requiring either a restart of 1p or the browser, and the lock/unlock state between the toolbar icon and the in-form UI is often out of sync for up to 10 seconds. This can make auto fill on a new site take up to 30-40 seconds between attempting to unlock, bouncing 1password, slowly unlocking the extension, and then it being ready to autofill.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.20 (81020036)
Extension Version: 2.16.0
OS Version: macOS 14.1.1 (23B81)
Browser: Safari Version 17.1 (19616.2.9.11.7)

Comments

• Hello @xeyr! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password for Safari isn't performing as well as it should on your Mac. Has this started recently? Or has it been something that you've been seeing for some time?

As a first step, can you please update 1Password for Safari to version 2.17.1, there are some improvements there that might help. You can update using this guide: How to keep 1Password up to date in your browser

I'd also suggest restarting your Mac after the update. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• xeyr
    xeyr
    Community Member
    Options

Feels like it's been getting worse over the last few months - and I've probably noticed it more because a couple of months ago I changed jobs and have been switching a lot between devices (work laptop / personal laptop / mobile).

I've updated the safari extension and rebooted - will keep an eye on it.

• @xeyr

Thank you for the additional details and for updating to the latest version. If you continue to see issues then please let me know and we can dig deeper. 🙂

-Dave

• xeyr
    xeyr
    Community Member
    Options

Been a minute … but I just noticed 1p take ~15-20 seconds to unlock in Safari.

Woke computer from sleep, went to this page and clicked on the login field. I unlocked using the touch ID prompt, but the UI in the form field still showed as locked for a long time. It did eventually unlock and fill the field.

I can't consistently reproduce this, and it's not usually this bad - but it does still have intermittent lag when unlocking via Safari.

• edsai
    edsai
    Community Member
    Options

It's so frustrating. I'm on MacOS 14.1.2 and it started happening months ago even on 13 but seems to be getting worse. Slow to open, CC autofill sometimes doesn't open, and just had it open up 5-6 tabs of "Welcome to 1password" about 30-45min after it refused to open for autofill. When things are working, it still takes 15-20 seconds to open up. Clicking on the icon near the address bar does nothing or sometimes just pops up a 75x75ish pixel gray box but does nothing. I'm getting close to dumping 1p.

• realdannys
    realdannys
    Community Member
    Options

"I'm getting close to dumping 1p."

Same, i'm already looking at alternatives, it's been constantly unusable in Safari for me.

• @edasi and @realdannys

I would urge you to send in a support request and let the team take a closer look at your configurations. They may need diagnostic reports, which are not possible here in the community. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

• xeyr
    xeyr
    Community Member
    Options

Happened again for me - also after waking from sleep (different website though).

• irandamay
    irandamay
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

It is extremely slow and unreliable for me as well ever since upgrading from version 7 to 8. But, in the past day, it has forgotten how to unlock on my MacBook with Touch ID, which is annoying, but I also realized it's unlocking very quickly and reliably on typing the password.

• whaverhals
    whaverhals
    Community Member
    Options

The same here. I have a feeling that the problem has arisen since Safari can work with multiple profiles. Not so much the 1Password 7 to 8 upgrade.

• @xeyr, @irandamay, and @whaverhals

I'm sorry that you're seeing suboptimal performance when using 1Password for Safari. The next time that the issue occurs please generate and send in a console log so that the team can investigate further:

Attach the log to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• irandamay
    irandamay
    Community Member
    Options

I had updated to a new version before making that post, which I think is what caused it to forget the biometrics. Once I finally rebooted my computer so they would work again, it’s been unlocking faster.

I am guessing there were fixes in that update and my auto update hadn’t updated yet (I had checked and applied the update manually).

• @irandamay

I'm happy to hear things are looking up. You may be able to use the following instead of restarting.

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click or Control-click) on the helper and select Quit.
    2. Fully quit your browser. There should be no light on underneath the Dock icon.
    3. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    4. Open your browser.
  • xeyr
    xeyr
    Community Member
    Options

I've generally been having generally better experience since an update + bouncing the helper app - but had a slow unlock today and sent console logs in - [#FDB-97119-759]

• @xeyr

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I see that my colleague has already reached out to you via email, please continue the conversation there. 🙂

-Dave

ref: FDB-97119-759