How to have a backup of 1P.

Options
howardn
howardn
Community Member

iCloud just had a failure and I lost 6 years of data from several files. Apple says they cannot be recovered. If I lost my 1P file I would be in real trouble. How do I archive a copy so that if 1P has a server failure like iCloud I have most of my passwords?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @howardn! 👋

I'm sorry to hear about your iCloud files, that's a tough situation to be in and I hope that you're able to recover as much as possible. With 1Password 8, as long as you're using the app, your items are stored locally on your device and they are backed up to your account on 1Password.com.

This system protects you: if something happens to all of your devices then you'll always be able to access your items on 1Password.com. And if something were to happen to our servers then you're still able to access your items locally on each of your devices where the app is installed.

Your encrypted and backed up data is also replicated to redundant copies on our end to guard against any data loss.

If you do need to export your items then you can do so however I don't recommend using an export as backup since an export isn't encrypted and you'll need to export a new copy every time that you update something in 1Password.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave