Options
The_caveman
The_caveman
Community Member

Hi,
Suppose that I have 1password on my iPhone, but it gets snatched from my hands and the thief has seen me punch in my iPhone passcode. They can now reset my Apple account, but can't access 1password, right?
Suppose now that I buy a new iPhone and want to install 1password again to regain access to my accounts. I can't access the app store cause I can't log into Apple, but I make a new apple account and I reinstall 1password. can I now log in to 1password? or will that be impossible since my secret key is still under my old apple account?

What is the recommended flow to prevent this from happening? Store the secret key somewhere else/safe? Any other tips?

cheers,
Bjorn

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @The_caveman! 👋

Thank you for the question. Unless you've decided to turn on device passcode unlock, 1Password will require either your account password or Face ID / Touch ID to unlock the app. Someone who has stolen you iPhone, and knows your device passcode, would not be able to unlock 1Password using your device passcode.

To add your 1Password account to a new device you'll need four pieces of information:

1. Your sign-in address.
    2. The email address associated with your 1Password account.
    3. Your Secret Key.
    4. Your account password.

I recommend that you download and print your Emergency Kit, it contains your sign-in address, email address, and Secret Key. Store the Emergency Kit somewhere safe, like a personal safe, so that you have access to it when needed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• The_caveman
    The_caveman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the detailed info. It's what I thought: I need a place to store my Emergency kit info safely...
    I'll look into bank vaults or something...
    Thanks!
    Bjorn

• I'm happy to help. 🙂

-Dave