Using passkey and additional OTP

Options
smhex
smhex
Community Member

Hi, I am using PayPal with passkey login. Compared to other websites (like google) PayPal requests a 2nd factor which is a one-time password generated by 1P. Unfortunately, this generated otp is not automatically copied to the clipboard. Hence, I need to open 1P and copy it manually. If using normal user/pass logins this functionality is provided by 1P.

Do I miss a setting here or is the implementation different to standard logins?

Thank you
Thomas

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: 2.17.2
OS Version: macOS 14.1.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @smhex! 👋

Thank you for the question! If you're signing into a browser on a Mac then you can use 1Password in the browser to fill your one-time password after using your passkey: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Regarding copying the one-time password to the clipboard, are you referring to 1Password on a different platform? Perhaps your iPhone or iPad?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• smhex
    smhex
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

I am using Safari on Mac. Sorry for the clipboard confusion. I meant auto fill. When I buy online and use PayPal the popup windows with the PayPal login appears. I am asked by 1P if I want to sign in via passkey which I confirm. The next step requires the 6-digit OTP. This is empty in my case.

If I manually login to PayPal by typing the URL in Safari the OTP field is also empty. The only case which works is when I use the quick access short cut and use autofill or when I use the browser extension. Then the OTP field is populated. Unfortunately, online shops open the PayPal window automatically.

Regards
    Thomas

• @smhex

Thank you for the clarification. I can confirm that I'm able to reproduce the same issue and that our developers are already investigating. Hopefully the situation will be resolved with a future update to 1Password in the browser.

For the time being, after you've used your passkey and when you're prompted for your one-time password, click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and then click Autofill to fill your one-time password.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24349