1Password + Extension cohesion between ios devices & mac?

Options
klepp0906
klepp0906
Community Member

So i've spent a fair amount of time using 1password on ios and never knew of the extension bit of it. I had assumed that was a desktop only thing.

Needless to say, I simultaneously found out about it, enabled it w/ permissions, and noticed the "sync across devices" setting for safari extensions.

Course I then noticed if I went into settings > safari > extensions I had 1Password listed under "allow these extensions", then another section called "On other devices" which had "1Password: Password Manager" listed therein.

I checked my wifes iphone and ipad. That section was missing. So i figured there was some kind of version discrepancy and/or issue with syncing causing "on other devices" to display. I began disabling the "share across devices" setting for extensions device by device. Whenever I turned it off for the macbook & mac studio voila, that section disappeared from my iphone and ipad. I would toggle it back on for either and the section and listing would automatically re appear on my ipad/iphone.

So after more digging i came across what points to this being the result of some convoluted discrepancy between version 7, version 8, and whats allowed on the app store, as well as mobile vs desktop/laptop. I think?

So i'm essentially reaching out to get a confirmation that the way the extension is presenting itself (showing up twice) in settings > safari > extensions when share across devices is enabled (between ios and macos devices) is expected/intended or otherwise?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @klepp0906! 👋

Thanks for the question! "Share across devices" is a Safari feature that helps you use the same set of extensions across all of your devices. You can read more about it here: Use Safari extensions - Apple Support

There is indeed a difference between "1Password for Safari", which is our modern extension, and the older Safari app extension that came bundled with 1Password 7 for Mac. I recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 8 and 1Password for Safari and remove 1Password 7 on all of your devices:

And here's how to install and setup 1Password for Safari:

Once you're running only 1Password 8 and 1Password for Safari on all of your devices let me know if you still see an issue. 🙂

-Dave

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Okay, all my machines and my iphone/ipad are using 1Password 8. It seems the apps (ipad/iphone) include the extension when installed (only had to enable it separately i believe)

The pc/macs needed the app and the extension installed independently of one another.

I just want to make sure this highlighted portion is in fact supposed to be here? Theres no versioning mixup/issue?

like i mentioned, best I can tell it disappears if i disable "sharing across devices" from macos but not from the ios devices indicating to me it has something to do with the extension on the mac/macbook being seen as different? just want to make sure thats intended/should be the case. If not, how to rectify it.

Also, while im here discussing the extension (as opposed to creating another thread) is the intent to keep autofill enabled AND use the extension in tandem? If noticed sometimes i presented with the built in system option to autofill above the keyboard as well as the extension in the fillbox at the same time. Not sure if i like it doubling up like that so before I make any decision I want to make sure that it is intended/ideal have settings configured like this PLUS the extension enabled?

• @klepp0906

Thanks for the reply. The screenshot that you posted of your "On Other Devices" from iOS Settings looks right to me and it's what I see on my own iPhone. I'm happy that you're using 1Password 8 on all of your devices. 🙂

Also, while im here discussing the extension (as opposed to creating another thread) is the intent to keep autofill enabled AND use the extension in tandem? If noticed sometimes i presented with the built in system option to autofill above the keyboard as well as the extension in the fillbox at the same time. Not sure if i like it doubling up like that so before I make any decision I want to make sure that it is intended/ideal have settings configured like this PLUS the extension enabled?

I'm sorry for the confusion. In Safari itself, I'd recommend using the extension. 1Password for Safari features greatly improved filling capabilities and offers an experience that is similar to what you're already used to with 1Password for the browser on the desktop. Not only does it use 1Password's powerful filling brain to better detect fields on websites but it also includes support for things like masked email aliases, on-page password suggestions, the filling and saving of credit cards and addresses, and more.

You'll still want to keep iOS AutoFill turned on so that you can save and fill logins in other iOS apps since 1Password for Safari won't work there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave_1P. Seems all is as it should be then :)

• I'm happy to help. Let us know if you have any other questions in the future. 🙂

-Dave