Request: Unique PIN for unlock

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Feature Request: PIN code to unlock.

Comments

• psiclopz
    psiclopz
    Community Member
    Options

Very excited. I just joined and installed the Beta. It seems like it uses your device pin. I would be nice to be able to set a different pin, but it's still better than the master password

• dmarcher
    dmarcher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_timothy, this is great news.

• Hi @psiclopz and @dmarcher, thanks for your continued support and feedback on this!

@psiclopz, that's correct the option is for device unlock which can use a PIN or pattern. That being said, I can definitely understand your interest in using a separate PIN and I'd be happy to share your thoughts with the team. If you'd like to include any additional notes as to why that would be important for you, feel free to add them here and I'll be sure to pass that along. Thanks again!

• johnnyV3
    johnnyV3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy ,

Glad to hear device PIN access was added, but that feature completely misses what most people in this thread actually wanted, which was the same unique PIN functionality that is in 1Password 7.

FaceID is not secure enough, our 1Password account passwords are far too long and complex to use, and our device PINs are often known by friends and family. Therefore the only viable option for us is the unique PIN feature.

In 1Password 7, if the unique PIN is entered incorrectly just once, you have to enter your full 1Password account password. This makes the unique PIN option very secure and the preferred unlock method for many users.

I will be using 1Password 7 until the unique PIN feature is introduced in version 8. And truthfully, if the feature is not introduced to version 8 and users are forced to upgrade the app, I will move to a different vaulting vendor.

I really hope the dev team over there is listening and reinstates this vital feature back into 1Password 8.

Thank you,
    Jonathan

• tote
    tote
    Community Member
    Options

This is a deal breaker for devices that don't have biometric unlock. This is the case for most Android tablets. Very few and only higher end tablets have biometrics.

Think thatin such cases entering good medium length pin is way more secure the entering the password all the time, considering that the users could opt in to use shorter less secure master password in effort to make their life's easier.

Can you please give us what are 1Password thoughts on bringing this feature back and possibly a time estimate?

• Hey @johnnyV3, thank you for sharing your feedback. We'll pass your interest for a unique PIN Unlock to our product team.

@tote, in case you missed the above, 1Password introduced the Device Unlock option a few months ago, which includes the option for PIN Unlock. Feel free to check it out in 1Password's Security settings!

• parsodark
    parsodark
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_audrey,

Some additional feedback: the Device Unlock option is still not good enough.

What I would like is an unlock method that:

• is faster than my long master password
    • does not rely on biometrics. Law enforcement in multiple countries can force you to unlock a device or account with your biometrics, but not with your password.
    • does not rely on the Android unlock method (pattern or PIN), as those are known by my friends and family.

The PIN option in 1Password 7 fulfilled all these requirements. No option in 1Password 8 does.

As long as 1Password 7 is supported, I will continue to use it. Please introduce separate PIN unlock in 1Password 8 before discontinuing 1Password 7.

Thanks

• @parsodark

Thank you for the feedback. While I can't make any promises, I've passed along your request to the team.

For the time being, you can change your account password so that it's easier to type in. Our guide will help you choose an account password that is both secure and memorable: How to choose a good 1Password account password

Remember that your account is protected using not only your account password but your 34 character Secret Key as well: About your Secret Key

As long as 1Password 7 is supported, I will continue to use it.

With the launch of 1Password 8 for Android, 1Password 7 for Android is no longer supported. I strongly encourage you to update to the latest version when you have the chance.

-Dave

ref: PB-37230765