Two Factor Authentication Not Working

Options
3rdforce
3rdforce
Community Member

I am using the 1Pswd extension (2.15.1) in Firefox (120.0.1). I have two factor authentication set up on my Proton email account and recently I have started having problems and can't access my emails. I am getting an error message that the authentication code is incorrect. Please help

1Password Version: Mac 8.10.20
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: Monterey 12.7.1
Browser: Firefox 120.0.1

Comments

• Hello @3rdforce! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble logging into your email account. Are you using 1Password as your authenticator app for two-factor authentication or another app?

If you're using 1Password then can you make sure that the time on your devices is accurate. If your time is even a little off it can cause problems with the one-time password that is generated. To check the date and time settings on all your devices, visit this website on each of your devices and make sure the time matches:

https://time.is

If the date and time on a device doesn’t match, you can adjust it:

Then try to enter your one-time password into Proton's website again. If that still doesn't work then can you tell me if you were able to use the one-time password generated by 1Password before? Or is this the first time that you're trying to use it?

-Dave

• 3rdforce
    3rdforce
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response. Of course, after I sent in my request, it started working again. I have been using two factor for some time now and this issue just cropped up. I set the Mac time and date for automatic. However, I am not a big fan of location services, so I did not set the time zone to automatic. If I have any issues in the future with two factor, I will check that first. Thanks again for your assistance.

• I'm happy that everything is working again. 🙂

-Dave