How to sync items in different vaults

Options

We have multiple vaults for each of our clients. We want to create a vault that is used by only some members of the staff that contains certain items from each of the clients vaults, but not have access to everything in every clients vault. We do not want to copy items to another vault as that will not allow the information to stay synced.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @jspoonerSI,

At this time, it's not possible for items to exist in more than one vault, nor is there any way for an item in multiple vaults to be automatically be kept in sync with other items. Instead, you may wish to consider keeping your current model of using one vault per client, but giving all of the relevant people to each vault, then also add a tag to the items you'd want your team to more easily access. Anyone could click on the tag in the 1Password sidebar and see all of the matching items across multiple vaults. Here's how to Organize with favorites and tags.

If you're not able to give everyone access to all of the relevant vaults, you may need more than one vault per client. Perhaps one vault can hold the information which is more widely available, and another vault would have the more sensitive information, with more limited access. You would still likely wish to tag the items for the client, and to create a multiple client view like I mentioned before.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you,

• limesalt
    limesalt
    Community Member
    Options

@ScottS1P is there any plan to address this limitation of 1Password? If nothing is in the works now, then perhaps in the foreseeable future? Seems like this question has come up hundreds of times over the years and is one of the top reasons people choose not to use 1P.

Myself, I was forced to use Bitwarden because of this limitation, but I absolutely loved the 1P UI/UX so much that I periodically return here, just hoping to see that this might someday be addressed. If it's simply not possible without a completely new approach to your security architecture or a huge refactor of your code then I understand, I'm just wondering if it's at all feasible or if I should stop checking back here.

• Hello @limesalt,

At this time, I don't have anything to share that would indicate if or when 1Password may allow items to be stored in multiple vaults, automatically kept in sync between vaults, or shared directly with another team member without using a vault. I can tell you that our team is aware of these requests and there has not been an explicit decision to never implement them. Like you mentioned, it would require significant changes to implement.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I'd say it's worth checking in again every 6 months to see if anything has changed.

Cheers,