Unable to add Apple ID Passkey to 1Password

Options
happycappie
happycappie
Community Member

Hello, when viewing my Apple ID in 1Password it tells me a Passkey is available. When I click on the Use passkey button I simply get redirected to apple.com.

I am able to sign-in to my Apple ID using Passkeys, but these are Passkeys from my iCloud Keychain.

What I would like to do is save a Passkey somehow to 1Password so that I can access my Apple ID account from Windows machines (running 1Password) without having to pull out my iPhone to scan the QR code.

How do I this please?

1Password Version: 8.10.20 Windows
Extension Version: 2.18.0
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hi there @happycappie

At the moment, you can only sign in to your Apple ID using passkeys which automatically generated on (and bound to) your Apple devices. There's no mechanism to add a passkey manually as it stands.

Watchtower will always alert you to apps, websites, and services where you can use passkeys, but Apple stands out somewhat as an example of where 1Password (or indeed any passkey manager) can't be used for it. In this case, you can click the Ignore button to remove the banner.

On https://passkeys.directory/, a website operated by 1Password, we say:

Passkeys for Apple accounts are automatically generated by any Apple devices signed in to an Apple ID running iOS 17 or macOS Sonoma or newer. You will then be able to sign in with passkeys on Apple using any iOS device or Mac signed in to the same Apple ID you are signing in to.

If you are using a different browser or device, such as a Windows PC or Mac signed in with a different Apple ID, you can scan the QR code using your iOS device and sign in with passkeys on Apple.

You are not yet able to save passkeys for Apple ID accounts in third-party credential managers and can only be stored in iCloud Passwords at this time.

— from https://passkeys.directory/details/apple

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey