Tcl
Tcl
Community Member

Hi is it safe to download 1password using winget
I tried to install version 8 several times before but it always fail

I thought i could give winget a shot

PowerShell 7.4.0
PS C:\> winget search 1password
Name                         Id                       Version         Match                  Source
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1Password - Password Manager XP99C9G0KRDZ27           Unknown                                msstore
1Password                    AgileBits.1Password      8.10.20         ProductCode: 1password winget
1Password CLI                AgileBits.1Password.CLI  2.23.0                                 winget
1Password Beta               AgileBits.1Password.Beta 8.10.22-21.BETA                        winget
PS C:\>

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Tcl
    Tcl
    Community Member
    Options

Hi My other post asking about the plugin not loading, was deleted, I cannot find it
    May I ask what happened why was it removed

I need to know if using 1passowrd while having this plugin issue is still safe, removing that post makes me worry a lot

Thanks

• Tcl
    Tcl
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, first please ignore my previous message, my other post was merged with a post from another user and unfortunately i just was not notified

regarding safety of winget

winget itself should be very safe, i saw some videos on youtube about it, and i know they have both an automated and manual process to check packages and make sure its not malware or modified or anything

but winget is not mentioned on 1password official homepage, so double checking seemed important

also when installing directly from the downloaded exe file, if the installation fails, the installers roles back, so at least i still have v7

will winget also rollback if installation fails, this is mainly what i am worried about
    because i think mcafee on my pc stop v8 and its the work computer, so its a bit of hassle
    to ask the company admins to disable mcafee for me

i dont know if winget will bypass mcafee, but i need to be sure that it will rollback if it fails

• Hello @Tcl,

Sorry for the delay in response. We've encountered some issues with other customers using Winget and 1Password updates. We do not recommend doing using.

With the launch of 1Password 8, 1Password 7 is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. Although you can continue to use 1Password 7, it’s best to use the latest version of 1Password that includes all the latest features and security updates, if you are able to.

On that note, we'd like to better understand why you're having troubles installing 1Password 8 in the first place. However, the mention of McAfee (or other security software) on your device can cause the problems you're describing.

Rather than disabling McAfee, you could ask your admins if they are able to exclude 1Password's file path in it's scans. The 1Password directory can be found here: C:\Users\%username%\Appdata\Local\1Password\

Additionally, if you are able to, you can you try restarting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled and then try installing 1Password there:

As a last resort, if you are unable install 1Password 8, you can also try installing and using 1Password in the browser in a standalone manner.

Let us know how this goes.