Apple Watch unlock sometimes doesn't work in 1Password 7

Options
System
edited December 2023 in Apple Watch
This discussion was created from comments split from: Apple Watch Unlock Option Disappearing / Not Functioning.

Comments

• 1baus
    1baus
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I have a similar issue, however Apple Watch works for me and 1Password 7 on one computer (Macbook Pro 2021, OS X Sonoma 14.1.1) but on my other computer, (Macbook Air M1 2020, OS X Ventura 13.6.1), it exhibits the disappearing Apple Watch capability, also 1Password 7.

I reset apple watch with the Air M1 and the unlock with Watch worked again. But after 1Password locks again, it wants me to setup apple watch again. If I reboot the Air M1, Apple Watch unlock is working again, without having to do anything else.

Let me know if I can provide any additional Info

• 1baus
    1baus
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I have experience this on two different macs, two different versions of the OS. From what I can tell, rebooting the computer will bring the capability back. However, once 1Password locks itself again, the apple watch ability is gone again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Maybe 1Password8 has this fixed?

1Password Version: 7.9.11
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Sonoma 14.1.1
    Browser: Not Provided

• Hello @1baus! 👋

I've split your comment into a new thread since the other thread was discussing a different issue in 1Password 8 and you're using 1Password 7.

I'm sorry that Apple Watch unlock isn't working properly with 1Password 7. With the release of 1Password 8, 1Password 7 is no longer supported and won't be receiving regular updates and fixes in the future. I recommend that you update to 1Password 8: Upgrade to 1Password 8

If you do encounter an issue with Apple Watch unlock with 1Password 8 then let me know and we can troubleshoot further. 🙂

-Dave

• 1baus
    1baus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P.

I upgraded both computers to 1Password (8) today and I see the same issue. For instance, I just logged into my computer and it allows me to unlock 1Password using Apple watch. But if 1Password locks itself after some period of time, to log back in, Apple Watch is no longer an option, just fingerprint or password. This appear to be the pattern, at least for me.

• @1baus

I'm sorry that you're seeing the same issue with 1Password 8. When you see 1Password's lock screen do you see or feel a notification appear on your watch even if you don't see the Apple Watch option on the lock screen on your Mac?

If you don't then are you using a focus like the sleep focus by any chance: Use Focus on Apple Watch - Apple Support (MY)

-Dave

• 1baus
    1baus
    Community Member
    Options

When it works, the watch vibrates to let me know it can unlock, and then I double tap the button. When its not working, the watch does not get any notification. The way it behaves, 1Password does not understand that there is an apple watch available to unlock it, when its not working.

IIRC, the apple watch icon appears on the password box when its working, and when its not working, I don't see the watch icon there. Hope that helps narrow it down.

• @1baus

Thank you for the clear explanation. The next time that you're unable to unlock 1Password 8 for Mac using your Apple Watch, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• ScamperD
    ScamperD
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having the exact same issue in the latest production 1Password8 and the latest production version of Sonoma on a 2020 (Intel) 27" iMac. Very frustrating.

• @ScamperD

If you haven't done so, please consider submitting a diagnostics report to my colleagues on the email team. They may be able to offer suggestions.

Things to check:

1. Phone, Mac and watch are fully updated. Double-check as sometimes an update may not be presenting itself.
      1. No focuses are active. I've found my DND (do not disturb) turning itself on during the day. I've since turned off focus sharing.
      2.  Apple Support - How to perform a SMC reset. for your given device.
      3. Apple support has recommend unpairing the watch from the phone and pairing it again to a couple of users. * As reported by the user.