Browser plugins have connection issues with desktop app after 8.10.22 update

Options

After upgrading to 1Password for Mac 8.10.22 (81022040), the browser plugins (Safari and Firefox) have significant issues. Even though the desktop app is unlocked, the browser plugin icons are locked. In Firefox, if I click the icon to unlock, most of the time I get a spinning wheel and nothing happens:

On the rare occasion it does work, it prompts me to enter my password even though the desktop app is unlocked. The browser plugins appear to have no connection to the state of the desktop app.

I followed the instructions to install the beta Firefox plugin in the hopes it was just an issue with the production Firefox plugin being a couple months out of date, but this has not resolved the issue. And of course, there are similar issues with the Safari plugin as well (v2.18.0). I had also installed the recent macOS Sonoma 14.2 update yesterday so my OS has been rebooted a couple times, browsers closed and reopened, etc.

Is it possible to downgrade the desktop app until this is resolved?

1Password Version: 8.10.22
Extension Version: 2.18.0
OS Version: macOS 14.2
Browser: Safari & Firefox

Comments

• Hey @oceansoffun, thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble, it sounds like there's communication issue between the browser extensions and the desktop app.

It's not possible to downgrade to a previous version on the desktop app and I'm also unable to reproduce the issue with the updated version of the 1Password app.

I noticed there are two accounts in your screenshot, just to confirm are both accounts unlocked in the 1Password desktop app? If so, let's give these steps a try to re-sync your accounts to the extension:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    3. In the General section, turn off "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app".
    4. In the Accounts & Vaults section, click the three dots to sign-out of your account(s).
    5. Quit the 1Password desktop app and your browser.
    6. Open and unlock the 1Password desktop app first, then open your browser.
    7. Using steps 1-3, re-enable "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app".

If your accounts don't automatically re-appear in the Accounts & Vaults section, this indicates a communication issue between the extension and the app.

Let me know how that goes.

-Evon

• oceansoffun
    oceansoffun
    Community Member
    Options

I'm glad I took a screen shot because now 1Password is trying to make me look like a crazy person ;)

For the first day or so after the update it was extremely flaky. As mentioned, I had uninstalled the Firefox production plugin and switched to the beta plugin in Firefox, which required me to setup my accounts again but the issue persisted. I also have the normal production plugins installed in Firefox Developer Edition and Safari and both had issues as well. At some point yesterday, everything started to work correctly even though I hadn't changed anything or attempted to do any further troubleshooting (I'm still on the beta plugin in Firefox and did not change Safari or Firefox Developer Edition). I have not been able to reproduce it since, even after an OS reboot and/or browser restarts. I can now unlock from the browser and it will automatically unlock the desktop app and vice versa. 🤷‍♂️

• Hey @oceansoffun,

Thank you for the update, it's always the way!

If you run into any further trouble please let us know and we can continue to troubleshoot.