Autofill not working in third-party browsers on Android

Options
UrsaBear
UrsaBear
Community Member
edited December 2023 in Android

I used to use an iPhone, and the autofill feature of 1Password worked very well on it.

However, recently I switched to an Android device and downloaded 1Password. I also downloaded a lightweight browser called Via Browser, which I used many years ago when I had an Android device. It doesn't have any extra features and is just a simple Android WebView wrapper.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mark.via.gp&hl=en-US
And another called X Browser.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xbrowser.play&hl=en-US
They may not be the best or most popular browsers, but I have been using them and have become accustomed to them.

When I tried to use 1Password's autofill feature to log in to Google in Via Browser, the 1Password suggestion box appeared and only says "Open 1Password", my Google account was not shown in the suggestions as on iOS.

When I open 1Password, there are no entry appeared.
Additionally, the section that should display as "Suggestions for Google" is showing as "Suggestions for Via" instead.
I think this might be because 1Password treats Via Browser as a regular app rather than a browser.

After I used the search bar to find my Google account and filled it into the browser, I noticed that a new entry for Via Browser appeared in the "Connected Apps" section of my Google account in 1Password.
When I switch to any other website and try to log in, 1Password still suggests using this Google account to log in.

As a comparison, when I used Bitwarden, it correctly listed all of my stored Google accounts on the login page.

So I wonder if there is any way to make 1Password correctly recognize the browser? For example, allowing me to specify a certain app as browser in the settings?

Or there is a hidden browser whitelist where only the developers can add browsers? Because I've noticed that it works fine with other popular browsers like Chrome, Edge, Firefox, or Kiwi.

Thanks in advance for any answers. I really like the interface and features of 1Password.

1Password Version: 8.10.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 14 (Xiaomi Hyper OS)
Browser: Via Browser

Comments

• BrendanR1P
    edited January 11
    Options

Hi @UrsaBear,

1Password for Android can fill in supported browsers. In browsers that are not supported, such as Via or X Browser, 1Password for Android will not fill or will not fill as expected, such as treating the browser as an app. Supported browsers include: Brave, Chrome, DuckDuckGo, Edge, Firefox, Samsung Internet and Vivaldi.

While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I'd be happy to share your interest in supporting Via and X Browser with the team. It's always good to have personal insights in the feedback we file. So, if you can let me know any additional details as to why this option would be helpful for you, I'll be able to pass that on to the Product team.

Thanks,

-- Brendan

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member
    Options

Changing the flag chrome://flags/#web-authentication-android-credential-management let me start using passkeys in Vivaldi on Android, maybe that can help you?