Watchtower states Passkey available for iCloud

Options
TOWS
TOWS
Community Member

Hi,
on my iPhone watchtower states that there's a passkey available for Apple.com. When I go to Apple.com and sign in with my my apple ID the next screen shows either sign in with password or Passkey. When I try passkey it says that no passkey is available on this device. (this is on windows 10) so then I try it from my iPhone, and when I get to Apple.com face ID signs me in using my password!

So why does watchtower tell me a passkey is available when I simply can not add a passkey? but if i can, then please enlighten me! This is all very frustrating!

1Password Version: 8.10.22 (81022040)
Extension Version: version 2.18.1
OS Version: Windows 10 22H2
Browser: Brave v1.61.104

Comments

• Powerless
    Powerless
    Community Member
    Options

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/701379/#Comment_701379

TLDR; you cannot use 1Password for passkeys on your Apple login.

As for the 'Passkey available' message, agreed it is confusing when you are reading it from within 1Password. But you can use a passkey with an Apple device which is why I think the message is shown.

• Hello @TOWS! 👋

I'm sorry for the confusion. The thread that @Powerless shared (thanks for the assist!) does indeed contain an explanation of what's happening here. Passkeys for Apple accounts are automatically generated by any Apple devices signed in to an Apple ID running iOS 17 or macOS Sonoma or newer. You will then be able to sign in with passkeys on Apple using any iOS device or Mac signed in to the same Apple ID you are signing in to.

At the moment, it's not possible to save a passkey for your Apple account in 1Password (or any other third-party manager). You're seeing the "Passkey available" banner appear because Watchtower takes its data on passkey availability from passkeys.directory: Apple.com - Passkeys.directory

I've previously filed an internal issue with our development team to have them look into removing or changing the banner until passkeys for Apple.com can be saved in 1Password and I've added your report there. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26658

• TOWS
    TOWS
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Powerless and @Dave_1P for your help. I thought I was doing something wrong. Watchtower needs to be a little more pro-active with its suggestions based on where 1password is installed.

• @TOWS

Thanks for the feedback, I've shared your comments with the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-37522945