To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Transferring existing data from v4 to 1Password v8

Options
Splash
Splash
Community Member
edited December 2023 in Memberships

I am using v4.6.2.626 (on Windows 10, iphone, ipad) through a Dropbox account. I have a lot of passwords, but not much else - no images and a few attached files etc. It all works okay, but I think its finally time to upgrade.

It's only myself and my wife and we want a single shared vault.

Am I correct that since we only want one shared vault, we only need an individual subscription?

Am I correct that we will be able to access all our data when offline (cached data) and that if we make changes they will synch once we get back online?

To migrate data from v4, is it possible to do that in bulk or will I have to do one item at a time?

Thank you.

1Password Version: v4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello @Splash! πŸ‘‹

I'm excited to hear that you're planning to upgrade to a 1Password account and I'm happy to answer all of your questions. πŸ™‚

Am I correct that since we only want one shared vault, we only need an individual subscription?

The best option would be 1Password Families which allows you and your wife to have your own Private vault that only you can see, where you can store your individual logins for emails and other services. 1Password Families also includes shared vaults so that you can share logins with your wife and with other family members: About 1Password Families

That being said, you can certainly both use the same individual account if you wish and add it to all of your devices.

Am I correct that we will be able to access all our data when offline (cached data) and that if we make changes they will synch once we get back online?

That's correct. 1Password 8 will save your items locally and update your account on 1Password.com the next time that you connect to the internet.

To migrate data from v4, is it possible to do that in bulk or will I have to do one item at a time?

You can follow our migration guide. Since you're currently using 1Password 4, you'll need to first migrate using 1Password 7 before installing 1Password 8: Upgrade to 1Password 8

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

• Splash
    Splash
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thanks Dave,

Sorry to be a bother but I am struggling to come to grips with everything.

I started the process, thinking I will go with Families. I've created an account and a backed up Secret Key. However the process so far raises some more questions for me. So I've stopped the process for the moment. I have not yet tried to import data from v4. I can always cancel the free trial if I need to.

My wife and I are retired. We share the use of two PC computers, using only one Windows OS login on each machine. We both have our own iPhones and iPads. As a safety plan in case we both get hurt or something, I want our son to be able to access shared data as well.

Q1. In Families does each person get 'just one' unique vault, plus the ability to create shared vaults? The info provided mentions the shared vaults but not the unique personal vault.

Q2. Do each of us need a 'secret key' generated for every computer or device we use?

Q3. Do we need a secret key for each vault, including shared vaults?

Q4. I'm concerned how to 'backup' my secret key. I want to use 1Password for all my passwords and secrets. Storing my secret key in inside 1Password sounds like a stupid thing to do - or is it? Yet storing it anywhere else seems stupid too. Maybe I store my wife's secret key for her, and she stores mine?

Q5. Of perhaps most concern is whether my wife and I can use the same PC computer (and same OS login) for separate vaults. If the answer is 'no' then I think I need to cancel the Families subscription I have started with, and then go to Individual.

Q6. Finally, in the process of subscribing a Family subscription I think that means version 8. I need to download v7 so I can import from v4. Can I do that even now even though I accidentally did the subscription to v8 first? Is there a safe link to download v7?

Thanks again,

Richard

• @Splash

Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry that the process looks a little unclear but the team and I are here to answer all of your questions so that you feel comfortable moving forward. πŸ™‚

Q1. In Families does each person get 'just one' unique vault, plus the ability to create shared vaults? The info provided mentions the shared vaults but not the unique personal vault.

There are two types of vaults in a 1Password Families membership:

• Private/Personal vaults: each family member has their own Private/Personal vault and this is where they can store items that are for their eyes only. You can't share your Private/Personal vault with another family member.
    • Shared vaults: items in a shared vault will be seen by any family member who has access to that vault.

Aside from the default Private and Shared vault that comes included, you can also create additional vaults and choose whether to keep them private or share them with your other family members: Create and share vaults

Q2. Do each of us need a 'secret key' generated for every computer or device we use?

Yes, each family member will have their own account password and their own unique Secret Key. You'll use your account password and Secret Key to add your 1Password account to all of your devices.

Think of a safe that requires two keys, that's what the account password and Secret Key are for your 1Password account. Without both of them you're unable to access your 1Password account from a new device or browser.

Q3. Do we need a secret key for each vault, including shared vaults?

No, each family member only requires the account password and Secret Key for their own account which will unlock both their private vault and any shared vaults that they have access to. You only need one Secret Key per family member, you don't need a Secret Key for every vault.

You can read more about the Secret Key here: About your Secret Key

Q4. I'm concerned how to 'backup' my secret key. I want to use 1Password for all my passwords and secrets. Storing my secret key in inside 1Password sounds like a stupid thing to do - or is it? Yet storing it anywhere else seems stupid too. Maybe I store my wife's secret key for her, and she stores mine?

I don't recommend that you rely on saving your Secret Key inside of your 1Password account since that's a little bit like storing the key to safe inside of that safe. Instead I recommend the following:

1. Download and save your Emergency Kit somewhere safe. You can even print it out and store it in a personal safe or bank safe deposit box.
    2. Make sure that there are multiple family organizers for your 1Password Families membership so that you can have another family member help you recover access to 1Password if you lose your account password or Secret Key: About family organizers in 1Password Families

Q5. Of perhaps most concern is whether my wife and I can use the same PC computer (and same OS login) for separate vaults. If the answer is 'no' then I think I need to cancel the Families subscription I have started with, and then go to Individual.

Multiple family members can use the same PC if you have separate logins to that PC. It's not currently possible to add multiple family members to the same desktop app if they're using the same Windows PC login.

Q6. Finally, in the process of subscribing a Family subscription I think that means version 8. I need to download v7 so I can import from v4. Can I do that even now even though I accidentally did the subscription to v8 first? Is there a safe link to download v7?

Your subscription includes access to both 1Password 8 and 1Password 7 (although I recommend using 1Password 8 once you've finished the migration). You can download 1Password 7 here.

You can find our migration guide here: https://support.1password.com/upgrade/#if-youre-upgrading-from-1password-4

I hope that helps. πŸ™‚

-Dave