questions on migration to 1Password 8

Options
SteveMouzon
SteveMouzon
Community Member

My wife and I are currently on v6.8.9 running on MacBook Pros, iPhones, and iPads. For years, we synced to Dropbox, but that quit working over a year ago so her database and mine are now different on several important passwords. When we migrate, what's the most foolproof way of getting our databases to sync? It would be a nightmare if the wrong version of a password overrode the right one. Like my Delta airlines password is the correct one; hers doesn't work, for example.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.2.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• @SteveMouzon

Would I be correct in thinking that you're looking at a family membership? If not, that would be my suggestion for one feature alone. That's account recovery.

🚑 Recover accounts for family or team members

Assuming that's the avenue you'll travel, then you'd import your files into your Private vault and her data into into hers.

Caveat - This assumes you are not currently sharing a single database for the two of you. If you are sharing a single database, the items would not be true duplicates, and the duplicate removal tool would not be helpful. It might be best to work on the close matches and get them resolved before migrating, assuming there are a small number you need to address. You could also do it the other way if you had more items. Based on your description, you most likely have two databases.

With a membership, the only data you would share between the two of you would be in the shared vault. Again, I assume that you're looking at the family membership.

• SteveMouzon
    SteveMouzon
    Community Member
    Options

Tommy, we're definitely looking at a family membership. The problem is that our databases bifurcated when syncing to Dropbox quit working. We'd like to get them back together again into a single database, as we'd much prefer to share everything. I just don't want to lose any of the most current data in either database.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

@SteveMouzon
    There is a duplicate finder in current version 8 desktop client. According to reports, it's very strict in its work: only items with all identical fields are identified as duplicate, so you can safely assume all detected duplicates can really be cleaned up without manual check.

So I suggest you upgrade to a family membership and import all your databases. Then move and merge all your items from both original single accounts into the same shared vault. Items will never overwrite each other if they have the same title, they will just duplicate. The duplicate finder works only within the same vault, so it's required you merge all your items into the same vault before you start eliminating duplicates.

After that, you have every single item you ever had on either of your accounts collected in one shared vault of your new family account.

Now use the duplicate finder (it's a Watchtower category) to identify all identical duplicates and just delete one item from a duplicate pair.

Now you have a bunch of single items and a bunch of duplicated but not identical items in that vault.

Sort the vault by title, and you will see the duplicate entries, at least the ones with the same title. There's no way except manually checking which one of two entries is the current one. Usually, you can compare the last changed timestamp (it's at the bottom of the item) and keep only the most recently changed item.