Protecting My Account - Remembering my Passwords

Options
iwaddo
iwaddo
Community Member
edited January 8 in Lounge

Hi

I use Authy as the 2FA my 1Password.com access.

This leaves me remembering up to 4 items
1. The Authy pin
2. The Authy backup password
3. 1Password password
4. 1Password Secret Key

You can immediately see the problem having 1 & 2 in 1Password so this leaves me wondering about where to safely store these bits of information.

A secure note in my Mac Keychain seems to be a good idea, but these are not accessible on my iPhone or iPad so no use when away from my desk.

I wondering whether the new Secure Note feature in Apple Notes was considered to be a good idea? If not, what else do people do?

Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @iwaddo! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thanks for the question! If you're using Authy for two-factor authentication with your 1Password account then you'll indeed need to remember your credentials to access Authy. However, it's worth mentioning that you should consider whether two-factor authentication for 1Password is a benefit for your situation: Should I Protect My 1Password Account with 2FA?

If you need to keep two-factor authentication turned on, you can add a physical security key as an alternate second-factor to your 1Password account in case you lose access to Authy: Use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

If you're using Apple devices then 1Password already stores a copy of your Secret Key in your Apple account iCloud Keychain. This is a convenience feature so that, if you need to add your 1Password account to a new Apple device, you'll only need your account password (along with your second-factor if you're using 2FA) which you need to memorize.

I wouldn't recommend storing your credentials in a Secure Note. When it comes to a backup of your credentials I recommend that you download and print your Emergency Kit. You can write your account password on the Emergency Kit, and include a copy of your credentials for Authy as well. Then, you should store your Emergency Kit somewhere secure like a personal safe.

I hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1Password , Hi

I can see why I do not really need 2FA and may turn it off.

I would not want my password on the same piece of paper as the email address and secret key, this just sounds like too much of a risk, slim I know, but still a risk.

In addition to myself, I have two family organisers, does this negate the need to print or save the emergency kit?

Thank you for your help.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@iwaddo

Thanks for the reply. I would still keep the Emergency Kit somewhere safe just in case you lose access to your 1Password account and to your email address at the same time. For your family organizers to help you recover access to your account, you'll need access to your email address.

You can certainly leave the account password field blank if that's your preference and you're sure that you won't forget your account password. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave