Family acct and private vault

Options
LindaY
LindaY
Community Member
edited January 10 in Families

What is the easiest way to have/manage a Family Account but keep one or two passwords private?

I switched from another PW manager and set up a 1PW family account. So far, I have been the only one using it while I slowly learn and understand how to use 1Password. My other family members are not very tech savvy and I am trying to make it as easy and painless as possible. I plan to share everything within my family except for two or three items which I'd like to remain private. So I assume that I should create a vault and put those several items in a private vault? then how do I invite the family members to join the account?

This is where I get confused. How is the vault private? If I invite a family member to join will they have continuous access to our 1PW account (except the vault)...which I want? So anytime I (or they) add a new website/PW will it automatically become part of the family account?

I hope I have explained my problem. Sorry if I garbled my question.

1Password Version: 8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 11
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• @LindaY

Welcome to the family!

With a Family membership, anything you place in the shared vault will be Shared with the entire family. Anything you place in your Private vault will be for you only. Each member of the family has a Private vault specific to them. The Shared vault is communal to the family. By default, all items are generally saved to the Private vault. You can, however, change where new items are saved. This is done from within the application or the browser. If you want all new items to be fully shared, you will set your default vault to the Shared vault.

Add and remove family members

• LindaY
    LindaY
    Community Member
    Options

So it seems that every family member will have their own Secret Key and will create their own Password? As the Family Organizer my original PW and Secret Key is unique to only me? If I designate a family member to join me in being a joint Family Organizer does that family member share my PW or do they still have to have their own PW? Each family member's PW will allow them access to the Shared Vault but only an Organizer has access to everything?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 10
    Options

@LindaY

So it seems that every family member will have their own Secret Key and will create their own Password?

Correct.

As the Family Organizer my original PW and Secret Key is unique to only me?

Yes.

If I designate a family member to join me in being a joint Family Organizer does that family member share my PW or do they still have to have their own PW?

They would use their own.

Each family member's PW will allow them access to the Shared Vault

They will have access to the Shared vault and their Private vault. Unless of vaults are created.

but only an Organizer has access to everything?

In a nut shell the Family Organizer is mainly billing, account recovery and managing other folks. More details can be found here in our support article below.

About family organizers in 1Password Families