No prompt for passkeys

Options

Hi all,

I am not sure if I have selected the right category to ask this question so I apologize if I haven't.

I have a Google account and I have saved the login credentials for it in 1Password. I was notified that I can enable a passkey for that account so I did. I followed the instructions carefully and enabled it, and when I signed out of my account and immediately signed back into it, the browser prompted me for the passkey (instead of the password) - which is great. However, when I closed the browser, re-opened it and then try to sign back into my Google account, it no longer prompted me for my passkey. Instead the first thing it asked me was my password! I have to manually click "Try another way" and then select Passkeys for the passkey prompt to appear. When I enter the password, Google informs me that I could use passkeys instead and when I go to the next step, it acknowledges that I have a passkey already set up. So why isn't it using passkeys instead?

I was told that Passkeys serve as an alternative to passwords and 2FA so I disabled 2FA. But this might be a mistake given that it appears a malicious actors could simply gain access to my account by using password instead (since that is still an option) thus bypassing passkeys.

Is there something I missed? Any advice would be nice.

I suspect the culprit is when I close the browser, it automatically clears everything e.g., history, cookies, cache and all that.

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: 2.18.2
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hello @Gambstar, thanks for writing in.

I did some testing on my end and have been able to recreate this behaviour after clearing the browser's history manually.

However, after I've selected "Try another way" to sign-in with a passkey, it still offered me this option after I signed out then back in. It looks like Google will ask you for your password first if the history has been cleared.

Can you confirm if signing back into Google account without clearing the history will offer your passkey first?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

-Evon