shorten suggestion

Options

Is there any way to shorten the default length of the suggested password? It seems to automatically suggest more than 25 characters, which is too long for many websites to accept. I know you can do it for individual password recommendations but I'd like to be able to set a default of something like 17 characters or whatever. I've seen similar questions in the discussions but not an answer - apologies if I missed it. And thank you!

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited January 15
    Options

Hello @meggallagher! 👋

Good question! You can change the type of passwords that the password generator suggests by clicking on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, clicking the menu button (it looks like a circle with three horizontal lines in it), and then clicking Password Generator. Once the generator is open, choose the settings that you'd like to use and make sure that Use as default for suggestions is turned on.

I recommend that you set "Type" to Smart Password since this will allow 1Password to generate strong and secure password that are automatically compatible with the websites that you use. You can read more about generating passwords here: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• meggallagher
    meggallagher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply! When I open up the Password Generator in the browser extension, I can't change the password or select "use as default." What am I doing wrong?

• @meggallagher

I'm sorry that you're not able to configure the password generator. To help me better understand the situation I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply:

Make sure that nothing sensitive is visible in the screenshot.

-Dave

• meggallagher
    meggallagher
    Community Member
    Options

Here's an example with a password not in use. I can't change it and I can't toggle the 'use as default for suggestions' entry.

• @meggallagher

Thank you for posting the screenshot. Are you trying to edit the number of characters or some other attribute? The Smart Password option doesn't have any editable options since it uses 1Password's brain to generate a secure password that matches a website's requirements. There's no need to edit anything here.

If you'd like to set your own password rules then you can click on Smart Password and select Random Password instead:

When Random Password is selected you can edit things like the number of characters and whether the password uses symbols. Then you can turn on Use as default for suggestions.

-Dave

• meggallagher
    meggallagher
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, that's what I didn't know! Thanks very much!

• Hey @meggallagher,

On behalf of Dave, you are most welcome!

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.