Request for when password was last changed.

Options
vonpadraig
vonpadraig
Community Member

Users are still asking for this feature for many years. Somehow to know when a password was last changed. Looking at password history means nothing when the password was never changed. Other apps have solved this issue.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @vonpadraig! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! Can you clarify your request a little further? As you mentioned, you can already see when you've changed your password last by using an item's password history: View and restore previous versions of items

Looking at password history means nothing when the password was never changed.

I'm not sure that I understand. If you've never changed your password then there is no "last changed" date since the password is the same as what you've always used.

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• vonpadraig
    vonpadraig
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, exactly the issue. If the password has never been changed, you have no idea when you last changed it. Relying on the last modified date does not work. If I happen to go into the entry to make any form of edit, the modified date changes. But that does not mean I changed the password. Right now, IF I want to ensure I know when I changed the password on a NEW item is to quickly change the password again so that there is something in the history.

• @vonpadraig

If the password has never been changed, you have no idea when you last changed it.

I apologize but I'm not understanding this sentence. If the password has never been changed then the answer to when you've last changed changed your password is never. Let me know if I'm missing something. 🙂

I also have a question for you: why would you like to know when a password was last changed? If I can understand the use case then I may understand the proposed feature a little better.

-Dave

• vonpadraig
    vonpadraig
    Community Member
    Options

Scenario. I create a new account on Costco.Com in December 2022 and I never change the password. If I do not touch the entry, the "last modified date" shows it was last modified in December 2022. But I want that same entry to reflect my Costco card number and some other information and I update that entry in August 2023, now the "last modified date" shows August 2023. Now, spring forward to January 2024, I look at this Costco.Com entry and I have zero idea when I created the entry. How old is this password? Did I create it 3 years ago? 2 Months ago? I don't know. And I want to change my passwords about once a year. Had I changed the password, I could look at the password history, but in this scenario, there is no password history. I am in the dark. THAT is the issue we are grappling with.

• vonpadraig
    vonpadraig
    Community Member
    Options

So... in a backwards way, there is a solution to the issue. Each entry has a created date and a modified date. In a backhand way, if there is no password history and the creation date is beyond the date I set for when I want to change passwords (say 1 year), then I know I want to change the password.
    Funny how it takes a few minutes to realize that while the system does not provide the feature we are asking for, it does provide a means to reach the answer we want.

• @vonpadraig

That's right. If the item doesn't have any previous passwords, then you can use the Date Created as a datestamp for that current password. Remember that you can always use 1Password.com to compare previous versions of items if you're not sure:

☞ View and restore previous versions of items

On the off-chance that you created the item but didn't add the password at that time, you could use the version history on 1Password.com to confirm when the password was added.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey