Unable to sign in to Home Depot's website using a passkey

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Passkeys not working in apps on iOS 17.

Comments

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    edited January 15
    Options

I am having this issue specifically with Home Depot’s webpage. I was able to create and save it to 1Password. But I can’t use it to sign in. If I turn on iCloud Keychain it also prompts to create one.

• Hello @snowy! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble signing into Home Depot's website. I've split your comment into a new thread since your issue is distinct from the issue in the original thread.

The team is aware of an issue where Home Depot will prompt you to save a new passkey on each of your devices even if a passkey is already saved and synced to that device using 1Password. Is this what you're seeing when you try to sign in?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26140

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

So it wouldn’t prompt me to login with the recently saved passkey. It would default to asking me for a password. I toggled 1Password on and off in the system ettings->passwords-> autofill provider setting. And now prompts to us my passkey. I am going to test on another device and confirm it works.

• Let us know how you fare @snowy

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

this still has quirks. i tried from another device (macOS) i use with the same 1password account. 1password in the extension showed the saved entry with passkey. I went ahead attempted to sign in. And it prompted to create a new passkey instead of using the current one. So i saved a new passkey on my mac and I succesfully logged in. I went to my iOS device and attempted to use passkey. Yet again I got "Create a passkey".

This is not intended to come across mean just expressing as an end user experience. I don't get it and this user experience of having to use the 1P extension and not the built-in API is not great. I tried this Apple's built-in password/key manager and another 3rd party password manager doing this and I had no issues.

• @snowy

I'm sorry that you're still running into issues. One of my colleagues tested HomeDepot.com recently and was able to sign in using a saved passkey from another browser. Would you be able to try the following test:

1. Remove all saved passkeys from the Home Depot website.
    2. Remove all saved passkeys for HomeDepot.com from 1Password.
    3. Save a new passkey in 1Password for HomeDepot.com.
    4. Try to sign in using that passkey in another browser or device.

If you're still prompted to save a new passkey then could you reply to this comment with the following:

• What browser and device did you use to save the passkey in 1Password?
    • What browser and device did you use to try to sign in using that passkey?
    • Are you able to share the name of the third-party manager that you used to successfully sign into HomeDepot.com using a saved passkey from another device?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

I have done all those steps.

Browser created and attempted login with a passkey: safari (on the same and different devices as I mentioned above)

3rd party password manager: Strongbox
    Again I used safari and the same devices. The exception is Strongbox uses the native api for autofilling on macOS and iOS.

• @snowy

Thanks for the reply and for the additional details. I've flagged this to the team so that we can investigate this further. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave