Why doesn't browser autofill show any indication that some accounts are locked?

Options
blimpage
blimpage
Community Member
edited January 17 in 1Password in the Browser

I have both a family 1Password account and a business 1Password account, and I have both accounts set up on both my iPhone and my Mac. I use Touch ID / Face ID to unlock both accounts, but both accounts are configured to require me to enter my account password once every two weeks.

When using browser autofill on either device, I only see suggestions for whichever account is currently unlocked. If one account is locked and is waiting for me to enter my account password to unlock it, then items from that account are not shown, and the browser does not show any indication that the account is locked. This means that I am left wondering why some items are missing, and it's left up to me to realise that the account must be locked, open the 1Password app, and manually select and unlock the account.

As a visual example, this is what I see if I visit a website whose login details are in my family account, but only my business account is currently unlocked:

No indication that my family account is locked, just the message "No items to show.".

This is a frustrating experience that I run into frequently, and it feels like it falls short of the generally-excellent experience of using 1Password. Is there a reason why the browser extension doesn't show that some accounts are locked? If the UI showed a prompt to unlock further accounts (especially when no items are found for the current site), then this would not be nearly as frustrating.

I've seen posts that recommend solving this issue by using the same account password for all accounts, which would unlock all accounts simultaneously when the password is entered. However my business 1Password account uses a third-party authentication provider (Okta), so this is not an option for me. Either way it seems like a hacky workaround for a lack of proper support for multiple accounts.

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: 2.18.2
OS Version: macOS 14.2.1
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hello @blimpage! 👋

I'm sorry for the frustration. When the "Require password" option that you've set to 2 weeks expires, 1Password will require the secret to decrypt and unlock your account. If you're using different account passwords for different accounts, or different authentication providers, then you'll need to provide each secret separately.

If both accounts use an account password to unlock then using the same account password allows you to provide the secret to both accounts at once: How to use multiple accounts

That being said, I can certainly see that there is room for improvement here. The user experience surrounding the unlocking of multiple accounts is something that our team is looking into. While I can't make promises about timelines or specific changes, I've passed your comments along to the team so that they're aware of the frustration that the current experience is causing.

Thank you for sharing and I hope that we'll have good news to share with everyone in the future.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#12642
    ref: dev/core/core#22174
    ref: PB-37842909