Templates in 1Password 8

Options
bardsVSdragons
bardsVSdragons
Community Member
edited January 19 in Business and Teams

We're just now starting to upgrade our org (~300 users) from 1Password7 to 8. The problem is that we have a pif file that serves as a template which gets imported to every new users private vault on day one. 1password 8 doesn't accept that file format. Can someone point me in the right direction for creating importable files for 8 or creating some sort of template to apply to new accounts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @bardsVSdragons,

This is a great question. Would it be an acceptable change in process if your team had a shared vault with the template content instead, and asked new team members to duplicate it into their private vault? It may also be possible to have an administrator follow the same process on their behalf, either by placing the items into another vault shared with the new team member, or in their private vault if your team uses the SCIM bridge and can automated the duplication to happen as a part of the provisioning flow.

Here's an overview of what I suggest:

1. Create a new shared vault. Remove most default permissions for it, but make sure you can import items.
    2. Remove all permissions from the team members group, then only add back the option to copy items. This will add the other required permissions, such as viewing items, but prevent the vault content from being edited, deleted, or added too.
    3. Import the PIF file into the vault.
    4. Upgrade to 1Password 8.
    5. When a new team member is onboarded, they can open the template vault on a computer, select all items, right click on a selected item and pick the duplicate option, and choose to put the duplicates in their private vault.

Let me know if you think that may work, or if you'd like to discuss other options. If there is anything account specific, be sure not to include it here since this site is publicly accessible. Instead, send an email to support@1password.com including a link to this page and your forum username.

Cheers,

• bardsVSdragons
    bardsVSdragons
    Community Member
    Options

I took the above suggestion and ran with it: seems to work! Other team members are happy with it as well.

Thanks ScottS1P!

• On behalf of Scott, you're welcome.