1Password for Safari (beta) sometimes opens tab to my.1password.com

Options

Every so often, when entering my password into the 1Password for Safari drop down to unlock, a new Safari tab opens up going to https://my.1password.com/signin/ - I can close this tab and continue logging in as normal with no (apparent) ill effects, but can't determine why it does it. It does it maybe once a week or so. Any ideas?

(I'm running the TestFlight beta 1Password for Safari waiting for a fix for this long-standing issue.)

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.26 (81026007)
Extension Version: b5x beta 2.20.1 build number: 22000101
OS Version: macOS 14.3
Browser: Safari 17.3

Comments

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

I was mistaken to say it does it "maybe once a week or so" - it does it everytime the 1Password for Safari extension is unlocked (i.e the padlock shows on the toolbar icon, and you have to enter the password to unlock). After entering the password, you get the unlock animation and your vault shows, and straightaway a new Safari tab opens to the following page:

https://my.1password.com/signin/?a=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The Xs are replaced by an uppercase string of letters and one digit (last but one character).

• @snozdop

I'm unable to reproduce using macOS 14.3 and the beta of 1Password for Safari. Each time things work normally.

1. I tried both with Touch ID and direct password entry.
    2. Tried locking by right-clicking the toolbar icon.
    3. Tried clicking the hamburger menu and lock.

If you open 1Password for Safari's settings to the General tab, is the icon there green or some other color as far as connecting to 1Password for Mac. Also, is this using a profile other than the default?

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_tommy

Thanks for testing this out. The icon is green in the Settings > General tab. However, curiously, I restarted Safari and the behaviour has changed.

When I wrote the above, I was having to enter my password in to the dropdown window that appears when clicking the Safari toolbar icon to unlock. Since restarting Safari, instead of the password input in the toolbar dropdown window, there is a blue Open 1Password button and a second system dialog window appears prompting me to unlock 1Password with my Apple Watch. This works as expected and the spurious Safari tab no longer appears.

Now, even if I disable the ability to unlock with Apple Watch, I only get the blue Open 1Password button and the main 1Password app window appears asking for the password. I can no longer get the password input field to appear in the Safari toolbar dropdown window at all.

So, I'm not really sure what's going on, why the AppleWatch unlock started working after a Safari restart, and why I can no longer get the password prompt to appear in the toolbar dropdown.

Anyway, the tab opening to my.1password.com is no longer happening, so maybe it was just some odd quirk of running beta software. I'll keep an eye on it.

Cheers!

• Thanks snozdop

Let us know if it returns or you need other assistance.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

I've worked out what triggers the tab opening for me.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Uncheck the Connect with 1Password in the browser checkbox in the main 1Password app > Settings > Browser
    2) In Safari click in the (locked) 1Password toolbar icon to make the password input field show in the toolbar dropdown
    3) Enter password to unlock.
    4) After the unlock animation and the vault opens, the Safari tab to https://my.1password.com/signin/?a=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX opens automatically.

It seems my 1Password app had lost its connection to the Safari extension somehow, and restarting Safari fixed that link. I note that just re-checking the Connect with 1Password in the browser checkbox in the 1Password app isn't enough to re-establish the link - I have to restart Safari for it to take effect. Is that supposed to be a required step? If so, it probably needs mentioning in the text alongside the checkbox.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 24
    Options

@snozdop

Uncheck the Connect with 1Password in the browser checkbox in the main 1Password app > Settings > Browser

This would break the connection between 1Password and 1Password in the browser.

It seems my 1Password app had lost its connection to the Safari extension somehow, and restarting Safari fixed that link.

This is what I would expect. It's much the same as when updating 1Password or 1Password in the browser happens. A restart of the browser is often needed to reestablish- the link. Also, see above about breaking the connection. We've recently made some improvements for some of the browsers that should cut down on the need to do this in some situations. 🎉 Chrome comes to mind.

I note that just re-checking the Connect with 1Password in the browser checkbox in the 1Password app isn't enough to reestablish the link - I have to restart Safari for it to take effect. Is that supposed to be a required step? If so, it probably needs mentioning in the text alongside the checkbox.

The team is working to make this more seamless. Would you also mind me asking why you're unchecking connect with the browser? No issue, mind you. Is there a user case we've not considered here and one I can bring before the team?

1Password for Safari should pick up on its own when the setting is disabled and start working with 1Password.com. This would explain why you see the page appear. It's trying to make the connection on its own.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Would you also mind me asking why you're unchecking connect with the browser?

This was purely in troubleshooting this issue. I was trying to find what conditions would cause the Safari tab to start opening again. It's always checked otherwise as I generally use my Apple Watch to unlock. But it seems that it occasionally loses the connection and the Apple Watch unlock stops working. Maybe because I'm using the nightly version of 1Password and updating the app daily I experience the disconnects more frequently than most would.

So I think what happened is, the desktop app updated, lost its connection to the Safari extension (even though the checkbox was checked), then the Safari extension was trying to connect to my.1password.com in the desktop apps absence. However, I could just close the tab without logging into the site and it would work as normal, so I'm not sure what actually logging in would achieve.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 24
    Options

Ah, I see. I should have known you had all the t's crossed and I's dotted.

I'm using the nightly version of 1Password and updating the app daily I experience the disconnects more frequently than most would.
    So I think what happened is, the desktop app updated, lost its connection to the Safari extension (even though the checkbox was checked),

There was an issue like this with Safari and the nightly and several of us on the team experienced it. Apologies for this. I use Safari as my personal browser and I can say it was one issue I could not wait for the team to resolve.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Currently, I'm seeing the disconnect between the 1Password app and Safari extension after every app update (i.e daily as I use the nightly version). This is a new thing in recent weeks (can't recall exactly when it started) and I have to restart Safari every time to get the browser and app talking again.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 30
    Options

Thanks @snozdop

I've added you to the report we created for those experiencing this on the nightly.

ref: dev/core/core#27066

• Dave_1P
    Options

@snozdop

Thanks for your patience! A fix has been released that will prevent integration between the desktop app and the browser extension from breaking when you update to the latest nightly:

When you update to the latest nightly release of 1Password for Mac, the 1Password app and browser extension will now stay connected.

Make sure that you've updated to 8.10.30 or later. Let me know if you still see the same issue after updating. 🙂

-Dave

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave, seems to be working fine now.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@snozdop

I'm happy that you're no longer seeing the issue with the latest version of 1Password. 🙂

-Dave