Secure Note printing

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member

Is there a way either to print a secure note and/or export it so that it can be printed. I keep the details of a lot of equipment we own with all the attendant part # for accessories, spare parts etc. in Secure Notes because it is convenient, I have this piece of software, (1P), I do not want to buy another piece of software just because it might handle my problem better and except for the ability to print and/or export 1P totally meets my requirements. The best alternative that I have found is to use the Snipping Tool in Windows but that only works if used with the view that comes when the item is selected. It does not work if the item is blown up to a full page by clicking share.

Comments

• Hello Andrew42,

Thanks for the question. I hope you've been well!

While it's not possible to print directly from within 1Password, you can copy the Secure note's details and paste it into another application such as Notepad/Wordpad and print from there.

While we don't recommend printing details from 1Passsword, given this specific context I can understand why printing these types of details saved as a Secure note, could be useful. I'll pass this feature request along to the Product team.

We appreciate the feedback!

ref: PB37998219

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d. I'm not sure if I can follow your advice. Many of the secure notes that I make and want to print are for equipment/machines that we own. I have created a template for these which contains several sections/headings. I cannot work our how to copy a whole secure note like that. I'm wondering if I should not try using the Windows Snipping tool.

My personal wish is that 1P allow printing and leave it to the user's decision whether or not to use it.

• Hello @Andrew42! 👋

1Password 8 doesn't currently have a print feature but we've filed a feature request on your behalf so that our product team is aware that this is something that you'd find useful if it was added to 1Password in the future.

1Password uses standard markdown language so you might be able to edit the Secure Note in 1Password, copy the plain text including markdown, paste it into an editor that supports markdown, and then print it from there. I know that isn't convenient and it may be that the Snipping tool is the best workaround for your particular use case for now.

Can you tell me why you're looking to print the Secure Notes? Are you sharing them with other people? If you are then have you considered using the secure sharing tool instead: Securely share 1Password items with anyone

-Dave

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P. Thank you for your comments. If you look at the first message in this thread Jan 25, you will see why I am trying to print Secure notes.

As I mentioned in a previous post, IMHO it is not the task of 1P to tell its users what they can and cannot do with their data. It they wish to print, so be it and on their heads lies the ultimate out come.

1P allows its clients to output their vault to a csv which can then be printed. What's the difference between that and printing directly from 1P? From my point of view it is a difference without a distinction.

I would use the export route except it can only be used for the entire vault but not just for one section and/or selection. There are multiple requests on the forum for this flexibility in the case of export. It seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

As I mentioned to @ag_mike_d in a previous post, I am going to look at using the windows snipping tool. That will work but it is boring if you want, as I do, to print out all Secure Notes having a specific tag.

• Good morning @Andrew42,

Thanks for the reply. I've included this new feedback in the feature request I filed with the Product team.

Given the nature of your request to print Secure notes, it does sound like using the snipping tool from Windows would be the best go to while the team looks in to this request.

Please let us know if you have any addition feedback or further suggestion. We'll be happy to inform the team!

ref: PB37998219