Opening Safari causes email every time: "New 1Password sign-in from Safari extension"

Options
mirv
mirv
Community Member
edited January 30 in iOS

For the last couple of days, I've been getting emails with the above subject multiple times. I've gotten 6 of them today. It seems that whenever I open Safari on my iPhone this happens. I think it started happening after the new iOS 1Password beta 8.10.26 came in via TestFlight. Not sure if this indicates a problem or not, but it would be nice to stop the emails since they are not too useful.

1Password Version: 81026001 beta channel
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: iOS 17.4
Browser: Safari

Comments

• ChristIO
    ChristIO
    Community Member
    Options

Same over here, with public Safari extention on IOS 17.4 beta iPhone&iPad

• krusnof
    krusnof
    Community Member
    edited January 30
    Options

Hey there, just since yesterday I now get sign-in notifications emails every time I use Safari—not even to log in. It's like it's "verifying" the extensions over and over.

What to do?

1Password Version: 8.10.26
    Extension Version: 2.20.2
    OS Version: 14.3
    Browser: Safari

• TheJOlivier
    TheJOlivier
    Community Member
    Options

Same here and it is OBNOXIOUS. I cannot find any place to disable this new "feature." Please, it's clogging my inbox with pointless unnecessary emails.

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    edited January 29
    Options

Yes, getting that too. It appears to be from iOS, as I’ve only been using my iPhone today.

• alexlamond
    alexlamond
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this!

• nateboateng
    nateboateng
    Community Member
    Options

Getting this too. So. Many. Emails.

• Justin Rhodes
    Justin Rhodes
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 30
    Options

Hello @mirv, @ChristIO, @TheJOlivier, @r8ders2k, @krusnof, @alexlamond, @nateboateng, and @Justin Rhodes

I'm sorry that you're receiving repeated sign-in emails from 1Password when using the Safari extension on your iOS devices. Our developers have an open work item for the issue but it does seem like there has been a spike or reports from folks using the iOS 17.4 beta.

Is everyone here using the iOS 17.4 beta (@mirv and @ChristIO I see that you are), if you aren't then can you tell me the version of both iOS and 1Password that you're using? And whether this is a new issue that popped up for you recently or one that you've been seeing for some time?

For the time being, as a temporary workaround to avoid the email notifications, you can turn off 1Password for Safari and use iOS AutoFill to fill and save logins from 1Password instead:

1. Open the Settings app.
    2. Tap Safari.
    3. Tap Extensions.
    4. Tap 1Password.
    5. Turn off "Allow Extension".

Then setup and use iOS AutoFill: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#10342

• JohnsonRan
    JohnsonRan
    Community Member
    Options

Save issue after update to iOS 17.4 Beta 2…
    So it is 1P problem I guess?

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

There was a new update of iOS 1Password that came in via TestFlight today, version 81026011 on beta channel. This did NOT fix the problem - I still get emails about Safari.

• ckwebz
    ckwebz
    Community Member
    Options

Similar situation here. I’ve noticed it since January 29. I have two accounts and my work account is protected by Duo 2FA. I’m constantly getting Duo auth prompts when I open Safari throughout the day (sometimes just minutes between them). Most of the time, I get the “new sign in” email notifications whenever the Duo auth is requested.

iOS 17.3 public release
    1Password 8.10.24

• Thanks for the reports folks. I've made note of them with the team.

• khoi
    khoi
    Community Member
    Options

I've been experiencing this issue since about the start of January as well. I'm on the latest iOS and iOS 17.4 public beta releases.

• khoi
    khoi
    Community Member
    Options

BTW it took me a while to realize that these email notifications were actually talking about the Safari extension on iOS. It would be great if the email template for this was more specific about the relevant platform and even the device, if possible.

• @khoi

I've passed your report along to the team as well, I'm sorry for the confusion.

It would be great if the email template for this was more specific about the relevant platform and even the device, if possible.

That's a great suggestion. While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request internally on your behalf. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-38123059

• m1chael
    m1chael
    Community Member
    Options

Also happening to me.

• iOS 17.4 beta (21E5184k)
    • 1Password 8.10.24
  • Thanks @m1chael - I've passed your report to the team.

• MCKLMT
    MCKLMT
    Community Member
    edited February 3
    Options

Also happening to me. Very annoying issue.

• iOS 17.4 beta (21E5184k)
    • 1Password 8.10.24

Don't hesitate to tell me if I can help to solve this bug.

• AK63
    AK63
    Community Member
    edited February 4
    Options

Same here:

• iPadOS 17.4 bèta (iPad 9th gen.)
    • iOS 17.3 (iPhone 15 Pro Max)
    • 1Password 8.10.24
  • @MCKLMT and @AK63

I'm sorry for the impact the issue is causing, I've forwarded your comments and reports to our development team who are investigating the issue. For now, you can workaround the issue by turning off the extension for Safari on your iPhone or iPad and using AutoFill instead:

1. Open the Settings app.
    2. Tap Safari.
    3. Tap Extensions.
    4. Tap 1Password.
    5. Turn off "Allow Extension".

Then setup and use iOS AutoFill: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

• Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your patience while we continue to investigate the issue. The team would like to know if iOS 17.4 beta 2 (released today) improves the situation or if you continue to see the same number of "New sign-in" emails.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• ChristIO
    ChristIO
    Community Member
    edited February 6
    Options

over here iOS 17.4 Beta 2 (21E5195e) fixed the issue... same for the iPadOS Beta…

• @ChristIO

Thank you for the confirmation! We're receiving similar reports from other customers. We'll continue to monitor the situation as more reports come in. 🙂

-Dave

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

Preliminary indications look like this has been solved. I’m curious how the OS could have caused this. And why no other apps were affected (as far as I’ve noticed).

• @mirv

I'm happy that the issue is resolved for you as well. 🙂

-Dave

• nateboateng
    nateboateng
    Community Member
    Options

Fixed here too. Thanks for following this one, 1P team!

• I'm glad to hear that the emails have stopped for you as well @nateboateng. 😊

-Dave

• khoi
    khoi
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on the public beta cycle so I guess I won't get this update until next week. I'm very happy to hear it's resolved though.

Question for the 1P team: are you addressing any internal bugs that might cause this to happen again? It's worth saying that getting a flurry of false security notifications constitutes a security hole. When a user gets a dozen or more of these a day they will learn to overlook the valid security notifications as well as the errant ones.

• @khoi

We actively monitor the beta releases of iOS and macOS so that we can address any issues that may affect 1Password before Apple releases the stable version to the public. 🙂

-Dave