What happens if you log out on all your devices?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member

Yesterday I received an email that my passkey beta “trial” was almost up for renewal.

Since I was not using this account (except for testing logging in with a passkey), I was logged out of it, on all my devices. I still had the passkey stored in iCloud Keychain, but without an already logged in App that’s useless anyway?

This was a personal account. If it was a family account, would a family organizer be able to restore my access (with or without me using the passkey)?

Apparently I could delete the account via email, so that’s what I did (deleted both the account and the passkey), but I hope this user experience will improve. Otherwise, I can’t/won’t advice my family members to use this (though I’d love to; they find it difficult to use strong passwords).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @XIII! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! At this time, signing up for the passkey unlock beta only allows the creation of a 1Password Individual account. No other account types are supported right now, nor can passkeys be added to existing accounts secured by an account password and Secret Key.

I recommend that, when using a passkey unlock account, you generate and save a recovery code for your account: Unlock 1Password with a passkey (beta)- Save a recovery code

If you lose your passkey, or all of your trusted devices, then you can use your recovery code to restore access to your account. To use your recovery code, you'll need to have access to your email to confirm your identity before being able to re-access your passkey unlock account.

We hope to share more regarding account recovery for other account types in the future. 🙂

-Dave

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Was this recovery code available from the start of the beta, or was it added later?

(If it was available from the start I have totally missed that)

• @XIII

Thanks for the reply! Recovery codes have been available from the start of the public beta (released December 14th, 2023). But if you were part of the earlier private beta then the recovery code was added after that started since we've continued to iterate and introduce new features as we've received feedback from folks.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I participated early on in the private beta.

That explains why I never stored such a key in my real account.

• That would explain it, thanks for being part of the early private beta! 🙂

If you setup a new passkey unlock account in the future then I would recommend adding as many trusted devices as possible and saving a recovery code to prevent being locked out.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave