Wells Fargo App et al.

Options
BlueMagnolia
BlueMagnolia
Community Member

Currently the Wells Fargo app does not autofill on my iPhone. After reading a number of posts, I have updated all software/OS including 1Password. Iphone has iOS 17.3.
I have to open a browser on my phone, usually Chrome, and 1Password will autofill on Wellsfargo.com.

There seem to be some sites, when making purchases, that 1Password does not autofill credit card data either. Not sure if these two are connected but they both happened in the last 6 months.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @BlueMagnolia! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to fill your login into the Wells Fargo app on your iPhone. One of my colleagues tested this recently and confirmed that filling into Wells Fargo is indeed not working with both 1Password and other password managers that use iOS AutoFill to fill logins.

Since this seems to be an issue with the Wells Fargo app itself, that affects any password manager, I would recommend reporting the issue to Wells Fargo so that they can investigate further. In the meantime, you can copy and paste your login into the Wells Fargo app:

There seem to be some sites, when making purchases, that 1Password does not autofill credit card data either.

Just to confirm, are you using 1Password for Safari to fill the credit card by tapping on a suggestion that appears below the credit card field on the page? Let me know if you're using a browser other than Safari and if you're able to provide the website addresses of some of the pages that aren't working.

-Dave

• KonaCoffeeGuy
    KonaCoffeeGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed this issue of 1P not being supported by the Wells Fargo app. I submitted a ticket on the issue and received the attached response. I’m particularly annoyed that their solution is to use their own password manager - what crazy arrogance. This ranks up there with Ally Bank not allowing the use of VPNs when connection, while their own security FAQs advocate the use of VPNs…

Jonathan

• @KonaCoffeeGuy

Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately, it seems like our Open letter to banks, dated back in 2018, is still applicable here.

Sadly, it does seem like banks and other financial institutions are the most reluctant (to say the least) to follow the established practices and standards that would allow 1Password – or any other password manager on iOS, for that matter – work with their apps in a way that will benefit the customer.

In this specific case, it doesn't seem to be understood that any other password manager on iOS would suffer the same problem, since we all plug in to iOS's built-in Password AutoFill system, which is what's responsible for detecting and filling forms. 1Password just provides the data when requested, as would any other password manager.

Although it's disheartening to see that this is still the attitude of some in the financial industry over half a decade after our open letter was published, I can recommend referring any bank or other financial institution to our open letter, since it summarises the problem, and even suggests what you might send to them by way of feedback.

Here's hoping for a more secure future in financial apps. :)