Bug: US International dead keys not working in vault password field

Options
risoldi
risoldi
Community Member

I am using the US International keyboard layout, and my vault password contains a quote character, which is normally entered by pressing ' and then space. However, when unlocking the vault, I can't enter that character (pressing ' + space only gives me a space). It only works if I un-hide the password, which is very inconvenient since, at the point where I have the quote, almost the whole password would be visible on screen.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.19.0
OS Version: 14.3
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited February 1
    Options

Hello @risoldi! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into issues when entering your account password into the 1Password app. The US International Keyboard uses the apostrophe key as a compose key/dead key and this causes issues with a security technology called Secure Input. Secure Input is part of macOS and is used by 1Password when you enter your account password into the app to make sure that what you type into 1Password is private and won't be intercepted by other applications.

We've reproduced the same issue here on our end and filed feedback with Apple to look into having this issue fixed. For the time being, two options are available to workaround the issue:

1. Change your keyboard layout.
    2. Change your account password to one that doesn't contain the apostrophe.

I would recommend the second option. You can learn how to choose a secure account password using our guide: How to choose a good 1Password account password

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#15511