1Password with passkeys

Options
timl23
timl23
Community Member

I thought the idea was that one device could be used to unlock another device. That doesn’t seem to be how it is working. When I try to unlock a device that is protected with a passkey, it asks me for a passkey (currently stored on a security key). There is no flow where other devices are being notified and allowing me to login.
Additionally, in trying to delete a temporary account I setup to test 1Password with passkey login I am asked for a password! Which, of course, does not exist.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @timl23! 👋

Thank you for helping us test the passkey unlock beta! I'll respond below:

I thought the idea was that one device could be used to unlock another device. That doesn’t seem to be how it is working. When I try to unlock a device that is protected with a passkey, it asks me for a passkey (currently stored on a security key). There is no flow where other devices are being notified and allowing me to login.

When adding your 1Password account to a new device you'll need two things:

1. The passkey for your 1Password account.
    2. A trusted device where you're already using 1Password in order to approve the new login.

Once your 1Password account has been added to a new device you'll use your passkey to unlock the account going forward. You can also enable biometric unlock so that you don't always need to use your passkey: How to Use Fingerprint and Face Unlock on 1Password

Additionally, in trying to delete a temporary account I setup to test 1Password with passkey login I am asked for a password! Which, of course, does not exist.

This is a known issue that we hope to fix in the future. For now, you can use these steps to permanently delete your 1Password account:

1. Go to https://start.1password.com/support.
    2. Enter your email address and select Continue. You’ll get an email from 1Password.
    3. In the email, select “View my account”. You’ll see a list of your 1Password accounts.
    4. Select the name of the account you wish to delete.
    5. Scroll down and select Delete Account.

Let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/b5/b5#21630