Why does 1Password keep locking me out?

Options
stefd
stefd
Community Member
edited February 4 in 1Password in the Browser

I am experiencing 2 issues:

1. Whenever I wake my macbook pro from sleep or lock screen I find the1Password Chrome extension needs me to sign in again. Note that I have disabled Settings > Security > Automatically lock 1Password.
  2. Once I enter my password into the extension I am then redirected to https://my.1password.com/signin where I have to re-enter my password again and if I don't then the extension stays locked.

This is getting beyond tedious and entering my password so frequently is a chore (and if I'm in a public place a security risk too). Please help me resolve this.

Edit to add - I have removed the extension from Chrome and re-added it but it made no difference.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: macOS 14.2.1 (23C71)
Browser: Chrome 121.0.6167.139

Comments

• lalsimmons
    lalsimmons
    Community Member
    Options

Same as me. So frustrating. Spawning login windows are back!!!

I feel like they don't test their software very well, this is the 3rd time I have fought this spawning login problem on Mac / Chrome. Last time I created a ticket like you... and I just checked what they gave me.

Most frustrating, Chrome on Mac is not a rare combination... maybe it is time to change to something that doesn't break every couple months.

Same OS Mac14.2
    Same browser Chrome is up to date
    Version 121.0.6167.139 (Official Build) (x86_64)

• lalsimmons
    lalsimmons
    Community Member
    Options

@stefd the fix they gave me was in settings, the second option "integrate with desktop app" should be disabled. Turn it off and try restarting chrome. Maybe it will work for you. I just restarted Chrome again.... maybe it will work.

• stefd
    stefd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @lalsimmons I'll try that. I don't have the desktop app installed and that's not a setting I've ever changed so if it is the cause then I agree with you that they don't seem to bother testing anything before they release it to customers.

• stefd
    stefd
    Community Member
    edited February 4
    Options

It's still happening - disabling "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app" and restarting Chrome made no difference.

• mmeyer
    mmeyer
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue. This was gone for a few months but seems to be back now even worse.

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    Options

I'm linking this thread to another one about the same issue: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/704662#Comment_704662

• Hello @stefd, @lalsimmons, @mmeyer, @Hoelder,

I’m sorry that you’re experiencing an issue where you’re prompted to sign in to 1Password in the browser repeatedly. We have received multiple reports of the issue and an internal issue has been created for our developers to investigate further. I’m sorry for the interruption this issue has caused to your workflow.

To help us get to the bottom of the issue, can you help me with the following questions:

• Do you see the notification popup from the browser, as shown below:

• Do you have the 1Password desktop app installed?

• Or, have you recently removed the desktop app?
    • Do you have MFA enabled for your 1Password account?
    • Can you confirm the version of your 1Password extension in the browser? This guide will help you to locate the version number.

The above details will help us to establish a better understanding of the issue and help our developers fix the issue as quickly as possible. Thank you!

-Kevin

• stefd
    stefd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kevin.li

• I'm on a mac and I see a similar system notification but not exactly the same

• No I don't have the desktop app installed

• No, I have never had the desktop app installed
    • Yes, I use an authenticator app
    • Extension version 2.20.0
  • @stefd

Thank you for those details. It does sound like you're running into the known issue and I've let our developers know that you're also affected. For the time being, installing the desktop app allows authentication in the browser extension to take place in a different way so that you can workaround the issue and no longer see the authentication prompts:

Once you install the app, restart your Mac. We're working to fix the issue permanently but I'm providing this workaround so that you can stop the messages for now.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27669

• mmeyer
    mmeyer
    Community Member
    Options

Already in contact with support and mailed that info there including logs.

• Hi @Mooz80,

Thanks for the additional info. That's super helpful.

As a troubleshooting step so that I can learn more about the issue, can you temporarily keep the 1Password desktop app open and unlock while you use 1Password in the browser. When the app is unlocked, and the main window is open on your desktop, do you still see the same behaviour?

Can you also ensure the integration feature is turned on? Here are the steps:

1. Open your browser and right-click(ctrl + click) on the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Under the General section, make sure the "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app" option is enabled.
    • If you see a green light icon then that confirms that the integration between the desktop app and the browser extension is working correctly. Let me know if you see a different colour light.

Let me know the results of the steps that I’ve shared here and I can investigate further once I’ve heard back from you.

@mmeyer,

Thank you for sending over the logs and I can see my colleagues are helping you via email. You can continue the conversation over email.

ref: IXB-78488-991

-Kevin

• NT84
    NT84
    Community Member
    Options

Hi- Same issue here, multiple different machines, all Chrome on Windows 10 and 11. I haven't noticed it on my Mac using Chrome.

• @NT84

I'm sorry that you're running into the same issue, just to confirm can you please tell me the following:

1. Do you see a new tab open with a "Your session has expired" message?
    2. Do you have the 1Password for Windows desktop app installed? If you don't then are you able to install it to see if that resolves the issue: Download 1Password
    3. Do you have two-factor authentication enabled for your 1Password account? If you do then are you using DUO or Okta?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• NT84
    NT84
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

1. Yes
    2. I didn't, but installing the app resolved the sign out and recurring new tab issue. I'd prefer not to install the app everywhere but its OK for now.
    3. I use 2FA but via Authy.
  • @NT84

Thanks for answering those questions. It sounds like you are indeed affected by the known issue that our developers are tracking and I've added your report to the internal work item open for the issue.

For now, keeping the desktop app installed will allow you to workaround the issue. I know that this isn't an elegant option and our developers are working to release a permanent fix in a future update. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27669