Passkey, Brave, Android and 1Password

Options
lodaka
lodaka
Community Member

I am starting to incorporate passkeys into a few things but I found something odd.

As an example, on my Android (version 14), the Amazon app allows me to use the passkey stored on my 1Password app on my phone, i.e. it provides me with a prompt to select the right item. This makes sense.

However, when I try to login to Amazon, through Brave, my web browser on Android, when I click to login through a passkey, it seems to only check Google passkey ... thing (or whatever is called) and not 1Password, despite that I made 1Password as the default program for all passwords, passkeys, etc.

Is there some setting that I need to set? Does this method work in other browsers?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• BrendanR1P
    edited February 7
    Options

Hi @lodaka,

Currently by default Chrome and other Chromium based browsers such as Brave don't appear to have Credential Management enabled by default. This would be required for third party password managers such as 1Password to allow you to sign in to websites using passkeys.

While we would be unable to provide a timeframe for when Google will have this enabled by default, it's possible to enable Credential Management within the Flags feature of Brave which should allow you to use 1Password to sign into websites with passkeys. Please note, enabling and disabling particular flags can potentially lead to instability within your web browser, please ensure only the changes mentioned below are made and if you encounter any stability issues after setting these flags, please set them back to default.

Enabling Credential Management flag in Brave

1. Open Brave, then type in brave://flags into the address bar
    2. In the flags page which opens, tap the search box, then search for passkeys
    3. Tap Default under the Android Credential Management for passkeys flag, then tap Enable for 3rd party passkeys
    4. Click the Relaunch button that appears at the bottom of your browser

If the steps above don't work, please repeat the steps again but in Step 3, please change Enable for 3rd party passkeys to Enable for Google Password Manager and 3rd party passkeys

I hope this helps

-- Brendan

• lodaka
    lodaka
    Community Member
    Options

@BrendanR1P Wow... this worked. It's silly that this is required. I wonder why this is noted as "Experiments". Thank you again for this.