Chrome Extension Failing to load

Options

This is a bug report, not a support request. I couldn't find any other way to report a bug to you, so I'm posting details here. You might want to make it easier for customers to report bugs. You might be able to adjust the prompts in whatever forum software you're using, but right now, it's super distracting to have to write this bug report in a tiny text editor underneath a banner of "Ask a question," and the placeholder text, "Question?", in the title filed is rather off-putting as well. I do not have a question to ask, I am spending my own valuable time trying to offer some feedback. The user experience you have created is frustration on top of frustration - which is rather a lot of frustration!

On to the bug report.

For context, I use 1Password across multiple devices and with multiple different synced Chrome browser profiles tied to various corporate entities. I am an old-school tech nerd who loves your product and what it brings to the industry. Please appreciate that my suggestions offered here come from a place of wanting 1Password to be extraordinarily great.

I recently upgraded my primary iMac and transferred data from the old system to the new one via a Time Machine backup. On the new system, I've opened a Chrome profile I haven't used for several months. I noticed that the 1Password browser extension is not installed in this profile, so I installed it from the Chrome store. After installation in the browser, the welcome page for the extension attempts to display, but it fails to load, and all I see is a blank screen.

I then closed that tab and clicked on the extension icon in the toolbar. A new tab opens with the URL chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/app/app.html#/page/welcome?language=en but the page is blank.

Here is a screenshot of the Javascript console at this point:

Reloading the page does not cause the uncaught error to appear again, which makes sense because that error crashed your background worker, and the reload doesn't restart the background worker. Closing the tab and clicking on the extension icon reproduces the console output shown above.

Following my theory that this is somehow being caused by bad data in one of the persistent stores, I performed the following.

However, that had no effect. Closing the extension tab and re-opening it by clicking the extension icon results in the same console output as before.

Closing and re-opening the 1Password desktop app produced no change.

Closing and re-opening the browser produced no change.

Restarting the entire computer produced no change. (Please appreciate how incredibly disruptive this is and how far down the debugging rathole we've gone at this point.)

What's frustrating is that in multiple other profiles, the extension is working fine. Here is a screenshot showing the non-working profile on the left and the working profile on the right.

Props to the developers for using emojis in log messages. There is a slight data leak in the logs with the account identifier, and send/receives for each message might be a bit verbose for a production build that's out in the world, but that tells me you're actively having problems with this link between the extension and the desktop app.

Solution / Workaround

Deleting the Chrome profile and then re-adding it seems to have done the trick. Here is the log after doing that.

I see a log message about upgrading the database from version 0 to 11, so something presumably lingered on in the persistent storage from the old Chrome profile. It's certainly possible that changes in Chrome played a role here. Regardless, I do recommend some additional defensive coding in your startup and database migration portions of the extension. In particular, I'd recommend a global-level catch-all handler that will at least take the user to an error page instead of blank nothingness.

As a final suggestion, I personally love a guru meditation error for such instances. If this bug report makes it to the right person, I hope this reference makes you smile.

t'