Passkeys: Amazon_confusing behaviors_ often "No items to show"

Options
Welcome503
Welcome503
Community Member
edited February 9 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello all,

I'm recently (yesterday and today) beginning a migration to 1Password after over a decade with LastPass.

Machine and version info:

16" MacBook Pro (2021)

MacOS 14.2.1

Firefox 122.0.1

1Password extension vers. 2.20.2 installed and seemingly running

1Password 8.10.24 (for Mac "production channel" unsure what that might mean)

I have been having a blast working through all the holes the watchtower has pointed out, but there are so many I thought I would start with easy, low count, issues before moving on and slogging through all the weaks and repeats.

There were only 18 possible passkeys, and that seems like the way of the future, so I dived into that pool with some abandon...and hit the bottom with my head almost immediately.

I configured the feature for Google, and then figured Amazon should be a cinch...but...

From Watchtower in the 1Password desktop app I hit the "use passkey" button presented in the header, Firefox launches the Amazon site as a new tab in my window to the page "amazon.com/your-account" with a selection of buttons for "orders" "gift cards" "addresses" &c. &c. I note that in the upper right corner of the screen however Amazon is still requesting I sign in...

If I select the "Login & Security" button from this main window the site then presents a login prompt box requesting username, the 1password button/icon appears inside the field as I expect--oddly (it seems to me) when I hover on the icon my login options do not appear and instead I get a "no items to show" message. If I proceed to enter my username manually 1Password offers to save the info as a new entry.

If I go upper right and click on the "hello, sign in" message the site launches a new login window where again I see the 1Password icon, but there are still "no items to show"

If I hover over the website name withing the 1Password app and click "launch and fill" Amazon launches to "amazon.com/ap/signin?_encoding...." The site prompts for username and then password and 1Password autofills these correctly.

I'm in! Then I navigate to Account-Password-Change Password and site asks for current password. Yet, again I see the 1Password icon, but see "no items to show" when I hover. I'm unclear why the password just autofilled in the previous screen but is now not there, even stranger is that when I sort of force the issue and manually enter the password Amazon returns a "there was a problem" error message and requests my password again (even stranger, when I run the whole sequence manually--launch Amazon in the browser, enter username, enter password, navigate to security center, request change password...I get the "there was a problem" message and a request to renter password).

I have run this same sequence through Safari 17.2.1 (1PassExt. vers 2.19.0) and it is similar. Amazon.com-sign in prompt (1Password icon showing "no items...")

...AND CRAPOLA!!! When I ran it through Safari this time the passkey option was there and I did it, and now it's configured and working just fine...so all this is for naught, except perhaps that it seems Firefox does not do the passkey thing very well or at all?

Which I guess just leaves the following query: when 1Password Desktop App launches from the "website title" bar of an entry...does it use the system's default browser? Would I have to make Safari my default then in order for the passkeys to work?

Is it possible within 1Password to specify which browser then should launch which sites? Firefox is launching up a storm of the normal password protected sites...

Thanks for any insight, this whole process is fun!

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.20.2
OS Version: MacOS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Browser: Firefox 122.0.1/Safari 17.2.1

Comments

• Hello @Welcome503! 👋

Welcome to 1Password and to the community, we're happy to have you here. I'm sorry that you ran into problems saving a passkey for your Amazon account in 1Password. I can't reproduce the "No items to show" message that you're seeing when signing into your Amazon account using Firefox on my own Mac.

So that I can better understand the situation can you tell me what website address you have saved for your Login item for Amazon in 1Password? Don't send me your username or password, just the website address.

when 1Password Desktop App launches from the "website title" bar of an entry...does it use the system's default browser?

If you click on the website address from within the desktop app then 1Password will open and fill that login using your default browser. You can change your default browser by following these steps:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar and then click System Settings.
    2. Click Desktop & Dock.
    3. Set "Default web browser" to the desired option.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• Welcome503
    Welcome503
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Dave, and thanks for your reply...

If I understand it correctly though I think you are suggesting I change my default browser system wide on my laptop...changing my default browser for ALL activity?

Ideally if the deadly no launch combo is simply firefox/amazon, I'd like to be able to tell 1Password to use Safari to launch only the Amazon site rather than make a global system change...but I would be shocked if such fine grained control were possible frankly.

I do have 1password logging into amazon from either browser now, but it's not using the passkey--despite the icon showing a passkey when I call the item up. Instead it is autofilling the password prompts whichever browser I am working from.

Would I need to delete the password in order to force Amazon to use the passkey?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Welcome503

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. There isn't a way to choose to have different browsers open specific logins, the 1Password desktop app will always open and fill using your default browser.

However, you can open and fill logins in your desired browser by first opening the browser that you'd like to use and clicking on the 1Password icon in that browser's toolbar. Search for the right login and then hover over the login and click Open & Fill.

I do have 1password logging into amazon from either browser now, but it's not using the passkey--despite the icon showing a passkey when I call the item up. Instead it is autofilling the password prompts whichever browser I am working from.

When you sign into Amazon you should see a button that says "Sign in with a passkey" underneath the password field. Click that button to use your passkey rather than using your password.

Let me know if that works. 🙂

-Dave

• phershkowitz
    phershkowitz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

I would love to be able to launch different sites in different browsers. Are you using UserVoice or something similar for product feedback?

My need is relatively straightforward. Some sites work fine in Safari, my preferred default browser. Some do not, and I need to open them in Chrome. I would also like to open more confidential sites in Brave.

Thanks,
    Phil

• Dave_1P
    Options

@phershkowitz

Thank you for the request! While I can't make any promises, I've filed an internal feature request with the team to have them look into adding a way to choose specific browsers for specific items to future versions of 1Password.

Thank you for your feedback so that we can make 1Password better. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-38912977

• DoggieMan
    DoggieMan
    Community Member
    Options

Same here.

When, for instance, I need to update a credit card number, the Safari browser on my Mac will not work on some sites. But Chrome does.

A similar problem sometimes comes up with Safari 'Captchas' not working; they just keep spinning. Again, Chrome works.

Instead of clicking back and forth to set a default browser, or opening and copy/pasting a URL into the desired browser, wouldn't it be simpler to include an 'Open with…' item in the 'website' pull-down menu?