Experiment #5 - Auto-type for Windows (Nightly)

Options
AG_Travis
edited February 12 in Labs

Happy Monday folks!

I wanted to let our avid 1Password for Windows users know that we've just added the ability to auto-type your logins through Quick Access! Fill and submit your username and password into any standard login form - including desktop applications, terminals, VMs and more - with the use of a handy shortcut. If you have 2FA added to the login, we'll even copy the one-time code into your clipboard for you!

To turn it on, you have to be on the current Nightly build of 1Password for Windows (coming to Beta and Stable versions soon), go to Settings, select Labs in the left sidebar, select Auto-type and toggle the feature on. You'll now have the ability to auto-type any login into any selected field(s) through Quick Access (Ctrl+Shift+Space). It should appear as the default action for logins, but you can always activate Auto-type by hitting Shift+Enter.

There are some things to note about Auto-type. This is NOT Universal Autofill for Windows - it won't detect fields or provide suggestions, but after using it over the past few weeks, it gets close to the same magic feeling. Once you invoke Quick Access and find the login you'd like to fill, you'll see the Auto-type option appear as the default (Enter) action. Once you activate, we will type your username into the currently selected field, press Tab, type your password, and press enter. If you have 2FA enabled and stored in the login item, we'll copy it to your clipboard so you can paste it yourself.

Right now, we're looking for feedback to see if this functionality is useful and should be promoted out of Labs to all 1Password for Windows Stable builds. If you give it a try, please fill out this survey so we can continue to fine tune the feature.

I hope you all have a wonderful week and I look forward to hearing from those who've tried this. Cheers!

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited February 12
    Options

I tried to use this with the Epic Game Launcher (Windows), but I was only half successful to login with this new feature.

This truly evil launcher uses 2 dialog windows for logging in. First, you enter the username and click on a button to continue. This works with the new feature: it fills the username and clicks the button.

Then the launcher presents the given username and you enter the password in a second dialog. It's not possible to make the new feature fill the password into that second dialog - I need to copy+paste it or drag the password field from the 1password desktop app into the input field.

In general, it's a really useful feature and I want it in stable release.

However, it's only one half of a good app login support. You still need to manually search in Quick Access. But once you searched and auto-filled, 1Password knows to what program it auto-filled. So you can save the c:\program files\app\app.exe path to the password entry, and whenever I press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER for quick access, 1Password could get the *.exe of the currently active app, search for this exe in my 1Password logins, and if there is a match, present this as possible autofill entry in quick access. So I don't need to search.

• CrustyPistachio
    CrustyPistachio
    Community Member
    edited February 21
    Options

I just updated to 1Password for Windows 8.10.26 (81026039), but am not seeing this available in the Labs settings? Is there a trick to make this available?

EDIT: I can see that the release notes on the production channel have changed. I am assuming it was a mistake.

• paulvbk
    paulvbk
    Community Member
    edited February 21
    Options

Hi,
    If find this very useful.
    Finally being able to autofill on Windows is a game changer for me.
    I know I'll use it a lot and my relatives too: I always try to teach them the use of quick access but for it to be efficient (versus the copy/past by clicking in the main app and switching back twice) they must memorize too many shortcuts and make finger gymnastics.
    That way is effortless, only one shortcut to memorize !

PS: I just tried to login in the Microsoft O365 popups and it (obviously) doesn't work because of their multi step login process and the fact that they have links to create a new account right after the first field. Tried in Visual Studio, New Teams and New Outlook, they have 3 slightly different login process. I'm not very hopeful but could 1P detect the previously focused app and adapt the worflow ?

• StumpfMax
    StumpfMax
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried to use in Putty and there the speed is to fast und Password is filled out directly behind the username without the ENTER. It would be very nice to have the option to change the next field button for each entry.

• BloomTech
    BloomTech
    Community Member
    edited March 1
    Options

I have used KeePass for quiet some time and see that you can modify or customize the Autofill (Auto-type in KP) parameters. Be it adding an additional tab press, or adding a delay in seconds if the login page is multiple pages. Ex. Atlassian login. I have attached a screen snip to help clarify what I mean. If this isn't a feature now, can it be added to a Feature Request for consideration?

1Password Version: 8.10.26 (81026039)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 11 (23H2)
    Browser: Not Provided

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@AG_Travis I just found this and I've only tried it in two apps so far but it seems to work really good. One thing though, in the "Labs" menu for the feature there are two buttons, Give feedback and Join the conversation.

The latter leads to https://1password.community/discussion/144272/, but I can't access that. It just shows a message saying Permission Problem. You don't have permission to do that.

Should the link lead to this thread instead?

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    Options

So far I've had decent success using the feature, I've only had 1 time where the focused window was ignored, sadly the window it thought it had focus was discord, so I had to change the password shortly after.

Though without further testing, I can't be sure if this was simply an error on my part, would be nice if Quick-Access had a way to show which process was considered "focused".

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    Options

THANKS for this. Very excited to try it. (I'm on the wrong computer right now.) Two notes:
    (1) It's not clear from the description in Settings > Labs that it does BOTH userID AND password, with OTC in the paste buffer, if any. (But maybe that's on me, and I should've had more faith?)
    (2) I've exactly the same problem reported above by @Backspaze : I can't access this forum from Settings > Labs > Auto-type.

• Hi folks - thank you for all the feedback over the past few weeks!

We're so glad so many of you have been enjoying Auto-type for Windows and we've started making plans to promote outside of Labs and include auto-type in our full production builds! No timelines just yet, but that's more because we think we can make it even better.

Based on feedback here as well as reddit, we're going to investigate adding the ability to customize the auto-type recipe. We believe presenting the recipe in syntax form will be suitable based on what we're reading, but let me know if you have better alternatives in mind.

Keep the feedback coming and let us know which customization options you'd make the most out of. Cheers!

CC: @BloomTech @StumpfMax @paulvbk @Tertius

• lammoth
    lammoth
    Community Member
    Options

Autotype works well in apps that have both username and password visible. If the login is a 2-step process (username -> passage to the next form -> password) a customization of the command would be needed (as shown above in KeePass).

Although in many cases I prefer to drag & drop fields, this is an additional ability that can be quicker in many circumstances.

PS: in addition to this, I would also like to see the option for authorizing other browsers on Windows, as it happens on macOS...

• YamExpert
    YamExpert
    Community Member
    Options

I was surprised that when using the search function in Quick Access, it doesn't respect the collection selection I've made in the app, but instead provide me with a result for all vaults.
    Could you at least make it optional to make quick access search respect the collection choices made in the app?

• dswitzer
    dswitzer
    Community Member
    Options

Just throwing in my 2 cents:

I think it's a great idea to expose the recipe that's used. I think that has to be a required feature.

I'd also love if there was a way to trigger just the password (or username). I often only need the password auto-typed. So maybe [ENTER] triggers the recipe and [SHIFT]+[ENTER] sends only the password.

• dswitzer
    dswitzer
    Community Member
    Options

Or maybe it's like ALT+C for auto-type Username and ALT+SHIFT+C for auto-type Password (so there's parity with the copy to clipboard shortcuts).

• Mitch
    Options

@YamExpert: Quick Access keeps track of the collection you used with it last. You can change it to the one you want to see results from by clicking the account icon in the right side of the search bar.

• phdoe
    phdoe
    Community Member
    Options

@BloomTech I support your contribution 100%. I really need the possibility to customize the Auto-Type feature. On the one hand, it may be that only the password is required, but on the other hand it may also be that, for example, only the user name is required (without domain).

Example Active Directory account:
    User: abc.def@ghijk.com
    Pwd: 123
    Login for some apps only "abc.def" with Pwd 123.

What about automatic recognition of the window title? KeePass recognizes the title of the active window and inserts the stored login automatically.

• svish
    svish
    Community Member
    Options

Auto-Type is the main thing I miss from KeePass. Great that it's being worked on, but it feels very unsafe and lacks customization at the moment. Others have commented on the need for customization, but I just accidentally auto-typed my credentials into google...

The Quick Access should not have Auto-Type as the default action. It should remain to open URL in the browser, as it was before. Additionally there really should be some sort of "Are you sure you want to auto-type credentials for X into Y?"-prompt, similar to what happens on Android where it asks you to confirm and also allows you to add that app to the item in 1Password to remember the choice.